Pigeon Talk

Some neat colors of pigeons

View attachment 3587454

This is the first one I’ve seen that has the combination of gray and brown that my grizzle has. When I look at web pages on pigeon colors I see gray (blue) and brown (red) variations shown, but this and the pigeon color video someone posted a few days ago are the only ones with both. Here is my boy. His mom is white and his dad has a very smart tuxedo look, black with white wing tips and tail edges. It recently occurred to me that the brown appears in the bars, gray elsewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_2720.jpeg
    IMG_2720.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 17
This is the first one I’ve seen that has the combination of gray and brown that my grizzle has. When I look at web pages on pigeon colors I see gray (blue) and brown (red) variations shown, but this and the pigeon color video someone posted a few days ago are the only ones with both. Here is my boy. His mom is white and his dad has a very smart tuxedo look, black with white wing tips and tail edges. It recently occurred to me that the brown appears in the bars, gray elsewhere.
It is cool, once in awhile that blue and red pops up. Then even more rare in my loft I will see a pattern that's not symmetrical. One pigeon even had different color eyes, pearl eye & an amber. I will have to look for her pics of her eyes later.
20230724_115003.jpg 20230724_115006.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like bronzing. I see it a lot in feral populations.

Looks like bronzing. I see it a lot in feral populations.
Which is the bronzing? (The blue or the brown or the grizzle effect?) I don’t remember seeing that term before.

I love this boy’s colors, and they were such a surprise to me since he was only the third baby I had, and the first two, from a different but similar-looking pair (one white, one mostly black) came out as straight black and white pied.

(I have had no more babies and I don’t plan to unless/until I lose a pigeon as four pairs is perfect for my set-up. I ended up going out and buying two girls for this boy and the survivor of my first hatch rather than risk another male baby!)

Which is the bronzing? (The blue or the brown or the grizzle effect?) I don’t remember seeing that term before.

I love this boy’s colors, and they were such a surprise to me since he was only the third baby I had, and the first two, from a different but similar-looking pair (one white, one mostly black) came out as straight black and white pied.

(I have had no more babies and I don’t plan to unless/until I lose a pigeon as four pairs is perfect for my set-up. I ended up going out and buying two girls for this boy and the survivor of my first hatch rather than risk another male baby!)
The bronzing is the brown coloring that covers the blue:
IMG_2143.jpeg
(Not my pic, but there’s a feral I feed with almost the exact same coloration as the one on the right.)

And this is bronzing on a blue bar feral without the pied or grizzle gene:
IMG_2144.jpeg

(Not my pic)

Love those little birds, I was given a few, the man called them Turbits & said they made good droppers, meaning when the racers are flying around & you want them to come in, you could take a Turbit & place it on the landing board or just let it fly to the landing board, and the racers see the Turbit, and often fly to it, joining it, because the Turbits really want to be inside the loft. Turbits will venture outside but never far from the loft & will go inside the loft where they prefer to be. I think it's because they know they're not so great at flying, therefore they're more vulnerable to predators, so they always seek safety of the loft. As pigeons flock together, the Homers take that cue & will drop down from flying to follow the Turbits into the loft.
Hers is an Old German Owl but Turbits are a very similar breed.
Cool!
Your loft is so nice!
Some of mine have lived to 25, one to 27. But most die around 20 or so.
Wow! That’s old.
There are three pigeon base colors that effect all of the black areas and the neck on a typical blue pigeon. Blue (black), brown, and ash red.
That looks like it could be an ash red.
There is also bronzing which affects the birds differently. Bronzing can be caused by many different genes and they all manifest differently.

Back
Top Bottom