Pigeon Toe in 8 Week Ducklings

jennybvcr

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Connecticut
I noticed one of my 8 week old blue swedish ducklings has fairly turned in feet. It does not impede her walking and she doesn't seem to be showing any other signs of niacin deficiency. She is behaving normally as the other ducks are, running around, being a goof. She and her sister lived inside until 6 weeks of age and received b-complex in their water daily and never showed any signs of niacin issues. I stopped adding b-complex when they went outside because they were living out with the big ducks. Is this something I should be treating? As she doesn't seem to be bothered or impeded, I'm not sure I should worry about it.

Hi, what kind of B complex were you using, at what dosage, and how were you administering it? A video or picture of her legs would be great.

Hi, what kind of B complex were you using, at what dosage, and how were you administering it? A video or picture of her legs would be great.

Honestly I wasn't being particularly medical about it. I was just adding a few droppers full into their water every day. It was only the two ducklings in the brooder so I did it more pro-actively than as a treatment for a noticeable deficiency. I'm not sure what it was off the top of my head... one of the orange liquid b-complex that you can buy at the grocery store.

I will get a photo of her feet when I'm outside in a bit. As I said, it really doesn't impede her walking and she is not acting like she is having any pain or weakness. I dealt with a niacin deficiency a few years ago where the little thing couldn't even get up. Never had any problems with these girls. Just noticed the turned in feet yesterday when I was outside with them. Will post photos shortly.

Honestly I wasn't being particularly medical about it. I was just adding a few droppers full into their water every day. It was only the two ducklings in the brooder so I did it more pro-actively than as a treatment for a noticeable deficiency. I'm not sure what it was off the top of my head... one of the orange liquid b-complex that you can buy at the grocery store.

I will get a photo of her feet when I'm outside in a bit. As I said, it really doesn't impede her walking and she is not acting like she is having any pain or weakness. I dealt with a niacin deficiency a few years ago where the little thing couldn't even get up. Never had any problems with these girls. Just noticed the turned in feet yesterday when I was outside with them. Will post photos shortly.

Ok, there are a few problems.

A few droppers full may have not been enough, we need to look at the niacin content of the bottle used and go off of that, also, putting it in their water isn't the best way of administration, we both know how much water they waste, so really it's hard to calculate how much they should be getting. We recommend putting it over treats or administering orally instead of water.

Most of those b complex droppers at grocery stores contain very little niacin, and if it was labeled as flush-free it wouldn't have worked anyway. I'd like to see some pictures, but I suggest you read this thread I made,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom