Pigeons and Doves?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Hybridchucks, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop
    Hi, I wondered if anyone can tell me if keeping Pigeons is "easy"! I mean i would like to tame a few babies then build a shed so they could be free-range birds but be tame at the same time and i would feed them at night and in the daytime they could forage themselves? Do you think that would be possible? And a male and female would breed on their own and they would make their own flock? Tell me what you think! [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've never raised them but I was presenting a seminar at the Midwest Heritage Poultry conference. There was a guy giving a presentation on pigeons and I was quite impressed with how easy their care seemed and how productive they are. If I had the time, I'd go for it.

3. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop
    Thanks for replying so promptly! I love pigeons ( well i love all birds really, lol)

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I think they would adjust to your schedule just fine. In the winter you may have to supply them with a 24/7 feeder and feed extra whole corn to combat the below freezing temperatures.

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They are super easy to care for and very hardy.

I would only change couple of things with you set up....

1.. DON'T leave them to free range all day when you are out.

This is because hawks may get them, or cats can get into the shed too.

2. Feed them in the morning before you go out.

This is because if you get back after dark they won't feed.. they will be roosting... Or better still have food fountin feeder wth food for them 24 /7. You can keep chicken layer pellets in there or plain seeds like wheat.... and then use other seeds (pigeon seed mix) or peanuts to get them tame and train them when you are there with them.

1 person likes this.
  6. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone you are so helpful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by