Pigeons fighting

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
I have 6 birds right now, one same sex pair of a homer male and feral rescued baby female role male, my other homer male who is paired with one feral female I feed, one more feral bird I feed and a SPCA probable female. The dominant male in the same sex pair is an absolute pain in the butt. He is dominant over every bird and possessive of most things. Not uncommon for me to have to chase him off during feeding time to let the other birds have a chance, nobody can be on the same roof as him except his mate and he is possessive of all perches he can see.
The main problem is my other homer male (the one paired with the wild feral) who often tries to perch here but mister bully chases him off every single time. I'd really like this bird to get used staying here on the perches but he's making it difficult.
I don't lock these birds in, I just have a shed/area full of perches and nest spots that they chose to use. They get fed and have access to water and grit just outside the area.
I'm probably able to catch the birds by just grabbing them off the perches at night. So the question is, if I caught the problem bird and locked him up for a few days, then released him again, would it help?

Last edited:
I'm probably able to catch the birds by just grabbing them off the perches at night.
What I would do is catch,,, and toss on flights. If he is a homer,, he will find his way back. Do it daily by starting with one mile distance. Rotate directions if possible. In any order BTW. north,,, east,, south,, west. Then increase mileage. Rotate same way.
I think him flying would break the restless behavior. You should toss a second bird alongside for company.
Then evaluate behavior.
Keep in mind that good breeding stock is a goal of many pigeon keepers.

What I would do is catch,,, and toss on flights. If he is a homer,, he will find his way back. Do it daily by starting with one mile distance. Rotate directions if possible. In any order BTW. north,,, east,, south,, west. Then increase mileage. Rotate same way.
I think him flying would break the restless behavior. You should toss a second bird alongside for company.
Then evaluate behavior.
Keep in mind that good breeding stock is a goal of many pigeon keepers.
So, driving away for a mile, then letting him go... Would his compass bring him back to the area where is he causing so many issues? Would he not have to fly that distance on his own? I'm confused...

I have 6 birds right now, one same sex pair of a homer male and feral rescued baby female role male, my other homer male who is paired with one feral female I feed, one more feral bird I feed and a SPCA probable female. The dominant male in the same sex pair is an absolute pain in the butt. He is dominant over every bird and possessive of most things. Not uncommon for me to have to chase him off during feeding time to let the other birds have a chance, nobody can be on the same roof as him except his mate and he is possessive of all perches he can see.
The main problem is my other homer male (the one paired with the wild feral) who often tries to perch here but mister bully chases him off every single time. I'd really like this bird to get used staying here on the perches but he's making it difficult.
I don't lock these birds in, I just have a shed/area full of perches and nest spots that they chose to use. They get fed and have access to water and grit just outside the area.
I'm probably able to catch the birds by just grabbing them off the perches at night. So the question is, if I caught the problem bird and locked him up for a few days, then released him again, would it help?
How long has the problem bird been with you?

So, driving away for a mile, then letting him go... Would his compass bring him back to the area where is he causing so many issues? Would he not have to fly that distance on his own? I'm confused...
One mile is a very short toss distance for a pigeon. That is how it is best to start training. Then increase distance. Pigeon races go up to 600 miles, but there are returns from farther than that.
The following is a funny,,,, but true.
1643757033117.png

Pigeons do not need to fly out,,,, remember where they flew,,,,,, and return over same path.

Wow, so since he's been with you that long, ... Is there any way you can put him in his own enclosure? Have you tried the "toss n go" method from cavemanrich?
Not really, I do have a little kitset chicken coop I use if I really need a cage urgently but it is painfully small.
I did try to catch him to use the toss n go method but I chickened out in the end, I had a try in dim light and he flew off before I laid a finger on him, and I was scared he'd fly and seriously hurt himself I attempted it in pitch black.

Back
Top Bottom