pigeons?

mtsaz

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2022
I have a problem with pigeons. I have doves, wood peckers, creckles, and lots of others and I dont mind. WHY? Because they come 1-2 at a time. Pigeons come 20 at a time and can eat a lot very quickly. The irony is the chickens will chase babies or smaller chickens away from food but roll out the red carpet for the pigeons. Obviously dont put a lot of food out----but short of killing them which I dont want to do---has anyone got any ideas?

If you have 4 legged animals get a havahart trap and use it when the chickens are in the coop at night. I catch cats that way. I use chicken for bait-

The only place I know of where pigeons dont get it is in the house. They are very crafty. I will keep standing outside with coffee every morning and shooing them away. It will be 110-115 here soon- we will see what changes that brings. I wouldn't care if it were a few- but when its 20 of them--its a problem.

I know they have babies and are really good moms- but I can't feed the whole neighborhood. AND I know from my profession that they carry a ton of disease and can make me and my chickens sick.

THANK YOU very very much for your excellent advice and for responding to my questions. I appreciate it so much.

The only place I know of where pigeons dont get it is in the house. They are very crafty. I will keep standing outside with coffee every morning and shooing them away. It will be 110-115 here soon- we will see what changes that brings. I wouldn't care if it were a few- but when its 20 of them--its a problem.

I know they have babies and are really good moms- but I can't feed the whole neighborhood. AND I know from my profession that they carry a ton of disease and can make me and my chickens sick.

THANK YOU very very much for your excellent advice and for responding to my questions. I appreciate it so much.

I have a covered run that's attached to my coop. The feed and water is inside of my run. Pigeon's and doves aren't able to get in there.

You could try a thredle type feeder. You could try a scarecrow and/or a fake owl. Your best bet, however, would be a fully enclosed run, feeding the chickens in there morning and evening and then letting them out to forage the rest of the day. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom