Pilgrim geese - male or female???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TarHeelBlue, Jul 21, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    My guy has a lot more gray on him(?), but the feathers are now seeming to turn white. I do see dark blue eyes though. Maybe he just can't decide [​IMG]

2. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    It's fairly easy to call the day a pilgrim is hatched but by 1 week they are much harder to tell apart. Once the real feathers start coming it gets easy again. You have a really nice young gander there. Hope the other is a goose for you. We started with pilgrims last year and were able to raise 5 this year under a goose. I messed up 18 eggs in the incubator and only hatched 1 that stuck in shell and died on day 2(couldn't keep the humidity right). We also lost 8 that were under a goose about three days from hatch. A yellow lab that someone threw out near the house broke up the nest and eggs. He didn't eat them and I was able to determine that 7 were good. Next year I think I will let the geese set some and may use muscovy hens on the others.

3. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    definite gander.[​IMG]

4. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Are all the ganders solid white?? or do I have a mixed breed and the guy that sold me the eggs didn't tell me??????

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The ganders are mostly white with patches of grey.

6. dawnwinds58

dawnwinds58 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Greensburg
    Yup, but having gray isn't necessary. Some don't. The eyes are blue though. My Pilgrim male has no gray you notice, but has lovely nordic blue eyes. I contacted some hatcheries who sold Pilgrims and asked questions. They said according to the bloodlines, the gray varied from super heavy to near non-existent. To find any gray on mine, you have to look at the underside of his wings.

7. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    My guy does have the dark blue eyes, very evident now. But he has lots of light gray on him too. I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic so you guys can see them.

8. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

OK, hope this works. This is the best pic I could get of the two of them together. Any ideas?? Boy - girl?? The one sitting has the blue eyes.

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep the whiter one looks like a gander. My Pilgrim gander has blue eyes and my Lucy Goosey girl pilgrim has brown eyes. It looks like they have a wonderful place to graze.

10. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Yes, there are a few patches of green - over the lateral lines in our yard. At least they have green patches to graze on. They love it. And I love them - they are such sweet little guys!! Are all Pilgrims this nice? If so, I need to get another pair. They are wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by