Pilgrim geese - male or female???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TarHeelBlue, Jul 21, 2011.

1. PartridgeRooster

PartridgeRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    I have around 14 Pilgrim geese and they are great. I have 6 Ganders and the rest Geese. I wonder why they don't have a certain name for the female Geese as Geese is just plain.
    My Pilgrims are nice but don't like to share their pond very much but they will.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Probably the same reason why female ducks are called 'ducks'....just not very creative apparently [​IMG]

3. PartridgeRooster

PartridgeRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Quote:The female is called a goose. A gander and a goose are a pair of geese. Two or more of either sex are geese.

5. Sareny

Sareny New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    [​IMG]
    i was told these were 2 males and a female.. are they all female? not sure how old they are but the are huge so i would guess they are grown

6. Sareny

Sareny New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    [​IMG]
    i was told these were 2 males and a female.. are they all female? not sure how old they are but the are huge so i would guess they are grown

7. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Two males and a female what? Toulouse I would guess. They´re not Pilgrim, I would say, as they look very solid grey, not diluted, and males would be white with pale grey touches.

8. Sareny

Sareny New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    thank u... i have also come to that conclusion.. they have no white on their faces

9. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Young female pilgrims may not have white on their faces, but the greyness of yours makes me think they´re not female pilgrims. female pilgrims are a paler grey/brown colour. Yours also look quite big. But you´ll find out what they are soon enough by their behaviour and by their noises.

10. rwebs

rwebs New Egg

Jul 17, 2015
    so I bought 3 pilgrim thinking I bought a male and 2 female but now that they are feathered out they all look like males. What do you all think?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by