1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pilgrim geese - male or female???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TarHeelBlue, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC

Lets see if we can get @JLynnsDuckies is on she has Pilgrims. Looks like maybe the one far right could be female but I am not expert on Pilgrims.

2. Marty907

Marty907 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    North Pole Alaska
    The goose in the front with the long neck is a chinese or at least part chinese because of the longer neck and the knob is developing on the bill... the other two are male pilgrims

3. JLynnsDuckies

JLynnsDuckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Minnesota
    Hello and welcome!

I would say for sure the one with the gray on him is for sure a male pilgrim. He looks just like my two. As for the other two it's hard to say if they are females. They are probably not female pilgrims unless the are mixed with another breed. The one with its neck sticking out looks to me like a Chinese mix. It's bill and neck are different from a pilgrims. Female pilgrims are mostly gray with brown eyes and white spectacles (white around the eyes that comes with age)

Here's a picture of one of my male pilgrims. It might help.[​IMG]

4. JLynnsDuckies

JLynnsDuckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Minnesota
    Btw, they are beautiful! :)

5. rwebs

rwebs New Egg

Jul 17, 2015
    I was wondering why the one looked different. The guy that sold them did say that his son had let all the babies out together on accident that morning. So is there any way to know whether the Chinese goose is male or female before the spring when they start laying? Also, if I get a female Chinese,can I introduce her to the flock or will that be a problem? I was looking to breed and I dont want to keep all 3 over the winter without knowing I have at least 1 female.

6. Marty907

Marty907 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    North Pole Alaska
    You can tell by her voice... if it is kinda low monotone pitched it's a girl but if it is a loud shrilly blood-curdling honk it's a male[​IMG]

7. rwebs

rwebs New Egg

Jul 17, 2015
    the chinese is a bit louder then the pilgrims but sounds really close to the same. Its not blood-curdling I dont think. The chinese is the leader of the flock, he or she is always the first to come up and let you pet it. The other 2 follow it around. With Geese is a male or female normally the leader or is there no normal?

8. Camotracey

Camotracey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    Hi,

Just joined and was going to start a new thread, but I thought this was an appropriate thread, and perhaps could help others in the future with similar aged goslings, if they are at an age to identify sex (or we can add photos as they grow).

We were at a poultry auction this weekend, and to our surprise there was 6 goslings (very rarely come up). According to the seller, they had bought fertile eggs, and got far more goslings than expected or could home. The auctioneer suggested they were Pilgrim's and about 1 week old.

Here are some pictures of them enjoying a swim :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So obviously, things can get mixed up when a seller tells an auctioneer and the auctioneer tells us, so is it possible to confirm if they are Pilgrim goslings at this age? If they are, they still young enough to identify sex?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the pictures above were taken not thinking about trying to identify sex, so if it would help to have different photos, I can take some more (not really certain what exactly would be needed).

Thanks for any help in advanced,

Cameron

9. Camotracey

Camotracey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    Hi,

Just joined and was going to start a new thread, but I thought this was an appropriate thread, and perhaps could help others in the future with similar aged goslings, if they are at an age to identify sex (or we can add photos as they grow).

We were at a poultry auction this weekend, and to our surprise there was 6 goslings (very rarely come up). According to the seller, they had bought fertile eggs, and got far more goslings than expected or could home. The auctioneer suggested they were Pilgrim's and about 1 week old.

Here are some pictures of them enjoying a swim :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So obviously, things can get mixed up when a seller tells an auctioneer and the auctioneer tells us, so is it possible to confirm if they are Pilgrim goslings at this age? If they are, they still young enough to identify sex?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the pictures above were taken not thinking about trying to identify sex, so if it would help to have different photos, I can take some more (not really certain what exactly would be needed).

Thanks for any help in advanced,

Cameron

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Camotracey @JLynnsDuckies has a couple pilgrim ganders and I am pretty sure the dark goslings would be the females the light one the gander. if they indeed are Pilgrims. They sure are adorable.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by