pimples on eggs?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by koda55533, Feb 24, 2011.

1. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    so i have had this happen a couple times already. a few of the eggs i have been getting have a small lump on them, almost like a pimple. why is this? also, all of the eggs seem to have a thick shell and inside membrane type thingy. is this normal?

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Piccy please!

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Some of my eggs have little raised places on them too. I assume it's just a few little spots of extra calcium in the shell, no big deal at all. Your thick shells are normal as well, particularly if your girls are on a layer feed with extra calcium offered on the side. As far as the membrane inside, there are inner and outer shell membranes. Is that what you mean?

[​IMG]

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Great diagram! [​IMG]

5. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    i think it is the outer membrane. they just seem to be a little harder to open that eggs that you would get from the store

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:That's because they're fresh! The ones in the stores sit around for a while. If you let them age the egg will be easier to peel.

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:Oh yeah, for sure they're thicker shells. Even my parents comment on how much stronger my chickens' shells are than what they buy in the store. Just another reason why backyard birds eggs are better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by