pimples on eggs?????

koda55533

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
so i have had this happen a couple times already. a few of the eggs i have been getting have a small lump on them, almost like a pimple. why is this? also, all of the eggs seem to have a thick shell and inside membrane type thingy. is this normal?

Some of my eggs have little raised places on them too. I assume it's just a few little spots of extra calcium in the shell, no big deal at all. Your thick shells are normal as well, particularly if your girls are on a layer feed with extra calcium offered on the side. As far as the membrane inside, there are inner and outer shell membranes. Is that what you mean?

eggcrosssection.GIF

i think it is the outer membrane. they just seem to be a little harder to open that eggs that you would get from the store

Quote:
That's because they're fresh! The ones in the stores sit around for a while. If you let them age the egg will be easier to peel.

Quote:
Oh yeah, for sure they're thicker shells. Even my parents comment on how much stronger my chickens' shells are than what they buy in the store. Just another reason why backyard birds eggs are better
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom