Pin less peepers on aggressive rooster?

6 littleHens

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2012
Chillicothe, Ohio
Hello,
Same story, increasing aggression in a rooster that was a sweetie.
hit.gif
However, since having chickens first time this past spring, I don't think of them as pets and believe me I could make a pet out of anything. They never layed their head in my lap or rubbed their bodies on me. Frankly, they just don't care anything about me and only associate my coming around with food. So, this shouldn't be too hard for me to figure out, right? Wrong, since I'm not a farmer or hungry, I can't kill him.

But, I was wandering if anyone has ever tried pin less peepers on a rooster. If anything to blindside him a little to give you an edge up on this endeavor? Surely, someone has already tried this, right?
idunno.gif
If so, what was the experience with it?

I have the exact same problem. I hatched a chick myself, a little black silkie called Bunny. Turns out, he is a roo and chases me around the garden, attacks me at every turn and pecks my skin and wont let go until he bruises! I have two young children so this is a worry for summertime. I am thinking of getting Anti Pek, a friend told me about it. I think it only works on chicken to chicken pecking but I will spray some on my feet and hands before I venture out into the garden and maybe he will dislike the taste and stop doing it. You could try this also. I ordered mine from Ebay. :)

Kellysmall87,

But that wouldn't stop them from coming up from behind and jumping you. Do roosters have the nostril holes on their beaks too?

Last edited:
Roosters are difficult to train once they go sour and can be dangerous (I have scars to prove it). You could try the flipping and chasing but will you ever really trust the rooster again especially when the neighbour kids are fetching their stray ball? Sorry the only thing I would recommend is culling...

hey Kelly does that anit peck really work and if it does where do I find this, I could use it on my silkies because they get beat up by my brown hens.

Hello Smoochie I know that this question might sound dum but I am new at this so whats culling?

Just wait until he draws blood with his spurs. It will p*ss you off enough to do the deed that needs doing. You won't make him nice, you won't make him stop. So, either cull him now or cull him after he hurts you, or your kids or a neighbor but in the end, cull him you will. And by then, probably be pretty cheerful about it, I sure was. He will taste just fine with some carrots, celery, herbs & spices and dumplings, right from the pot.

Hi All!

I tried the anti-pek today and they seemed to not peck each other too much. They are usually free range but peck each other when locked in the run like today. So yes, I would say get some.Worth a try.

I have heard that with Roos, you can pick up and carry them around with you, sometimes holding their beaks shut with your fingers, this can tame them I heard? I'm tryign it anyway. Hasn't worked for me yet. Either way, I'm not culling mine. He will just spend his days in the run and not free ranging.

yes roos have nostrils. Culling is killing. You can buy special dispatching devices from Ebay.

I had my Anti-pek from ebay, also.

Thanks! :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom