1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pin Worms? Round Worms? What?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DDRanch, Feb 25, 2015.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    HEllo BYC Community

My flock is 11 mo old and recently I have noticed several have very smelly diarrhea. Today I observed fresh runny poo with tiny little worms.I have not experienced worms, so need some guidance from you please.

I have been searching the forum to determine the type of worm for treatment but cannot find pictures of the various types of worms.

Can someone please direct me?

Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could post a picture if possible. Most worms other than roundworms and tapes are hard to see. Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeated in 10 days will get most chicken worms. If you can't get ?Valbazen, then get SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer, and give 1/4 ml per pound of weight orally for 5 days in a row.

3. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    thank you so much.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Google cecal worms and capillary worms and worm as Eggcessive suggested.

-Kathy

5. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    will do. Thank you.

Additional question: My dog will frequently eat the poop, is she at risk for worms too?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dog and chickens tend to get different worms for their species. My dogs eat chicken droppings, yet they always test negative for worms at the vet's each year.

1 person likes this.
  7. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    i should add that none of my hens are displaying any troublesome behaviors...no coughing, no wheezing, no droopy tails, no inactivity. Flock is acting perfectly normal.

8. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    thank you, am off to feed store for Valbazen.

Thank you. Am off to feed store for Valbazen.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Worm ALL your birds. If one has them, most likely the others have them as well.

10. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    will do. thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by