Pine shavings in the water

sclank

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
Our beautiful chicks are 4 weeks old. They are still inside because it is so cold here in CT. But they make the biggest mess of their waterer all day long. When I am feeling neurotic, I could clean it out 5 times per day.

I have tried elevating the waterer, but they still manage to get poop and shavings in it.

Any ideas on how I can keep the water cleaner?

Thanks

How are they getting the shavings/poop in it? Are they scratching around and throwing them in or are they sitting on top of them. To keep them sitting on the waterer put a funnel on top so they cant get on it. Make sure the water is raised to the same hieght as the chicks' backs and it is very unlikely they will be able to throw shaving in.

The joys of babies... Yes, they do that. And the only thing you can do is clean it out 500 times a day!
barnie.gif

Thanks Corey,

I'll try the funnel and elevating the water a little higher.

good luck! mine are 7weeks old and still in the house too - hopefully not so by this time next week! - and they make a big mess in their waterer on a regular basis too...... even with their waterer elevated. seems as if they've gotten a little better now - maybe it's that "hey, we can FLY" phase coupled with the "learning to scratch EFFICIENTLY" phase that yours are in now....
tongue.png
hang in there, soon you'll be saying "remember when they were so LITTLE?"

big_smile.png

I hate that! I cut some 2x4's when they learned to scratch. Helps a little bit, but Im out there at least three times a day making sure they have clean water.

I have sucessfully got some chicks at about 2-3 weeks old to drink from Rabbit Water bottles. Maybe you can wean them to those for now?
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom