Pine shavings?

I buy that cheap bag of Pine Shavings, they sell at Tractor Supply, and dump the whole bag in my lil 4'x8' coop. Works great. I just go in and give it toss with the rake or shovel, every other day. I change it out about every 3 to 4 weeks, depends of how bad it gets but I only have 11 hens and a Roo. :)

I recently switched from pine shavings to hemp bedding and really prefer it. There is less dust and it is easier to pick out the poop. It is definitely more expensive, but I find myself using much less of it.

I buy that cheap bag of Pine Shavings, they sell at Tractor Supply, and dump the whole bag in my lil 4'x8' coop. Works great. I just go in and give it toss with the rake or shovel, every other day. I change it out about every 3 to 4 weeks, depends of how bad it gets but I only have 11 hens and a Roo. :)
Pine shavings I buy have the DME added & that has helped keep my flock lice & mite free. Also helps in my mind to keep flies & odor down.
In winter we re-used the old shavings piked around the perimeter to sop up water in the areas where rain & snow blew in. The girls didn't bother with them, probably cause they were wet. Shovel them out to the compost pile the next time we change the bedding.

Very carefully lol the coop is about 300 lbs alone plus the roost is about 60 lbs and that platform I’d say weighs about 50-60 lbs maybe more. I will definitely have to call in back up to help me 😳
Should be worth it once you get it set where you want it. I agree that next build should be outdoor run on the dirt. Even a small fenced area next to the coop so your ladies can go in ( to lay) & out to play, and you can relax when you're away. Open to free range them, they'll come back in the evening. For a run idea - we used a standard dog run & covered the top with chicken wire. But we have hawks and Ravens that will grab babies & break eggs if they can get to them

Pine shavings I buy have the DME added & that has helped keep my flock lice & mite free. Also helps in my mind to keep flies & odor down.
In winter we re-used the old shavings piked around the perimeter to sop up water in the areas where rain & snow blew in. The girls didn't bother with them, probably cause they were wet. Shovel them out to the compost pile the next time we change the bedding.
That's a good idea, Onyxflock, but I've never seen any Pine shavings with DME, here. I wonder if I good just get a bag and mix it my self into the pine shavings. Is that food grade DME?

Let me know what you find. :)
Turns out these are just Wood shavings, not pine. I bet the pine has good qualities due to the pitch oil that should be in it.

Attachments

• 0524201816.jpg
    0524201816.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom