Pine shavings?

Katielovell530

Chirping
Apr 24, 2020
Grass Valley, California
Ok I’m getting ready in the next 2 weeks to move my girls to their coop. They will be free ranging most of the time but I’m curious do I put pine shavings in the coop? It’s on concrete. We just got rain and I’m wondering how that will work with pine shavings. Won’t they get moldy when wet? I’m thinking this will be out last rain and then will be anywhere from 80-105 during summertime. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• 21C52C7A-C0E2-4AC1-9CED-6D575650F6A4.jpeg
    21C52C7A-C0E2-4AC1-9CED-6D575650F6A4.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 47
Nice coop!
Yes, do bed the floor with several inches of shavings, because that hard concrete won't be so comfortable, the poo will be a mess on it, and the birds want to dig around in bedding, looking for goodies.
You don't want it getting wet, so if your coop has good roof overhangs, or it's placed so wind doesn't blow rain inside, it will be good.
Mary

Ok I’m getting ready in the next 2 weeks to move my girls to their coop. They will be free ranging most of the time but I’m curious do I put pine shavings in the coop? It’s on concrete. We just got rain and I’m wondering how that will work with pine shavings. Won’t they get moldy when wet? I’m thinking this will be out last rain and then will be anywhere from 80-105 during summertime. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
You need to do the rain from getting into the coop. The coop needs to stay dry.
Where is the water coming in?

I like pine shavings in my wet Oregon because they don't seem to mold. (But I do have a covering over my run and enclosure for coop...the girls simply track water so it isn't puddling...very important difference).

I have mine over soil, for deep littering. They help keep the smell down, are easy to replace, and make nice compost.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Nice coop!
Yes, do bed the floor with several inches of shavings, because that hard concrete won't be so comfortable, the poo will be a mess on it, and the birds want to dig around in bedding, looking for goodies.
You don't want it getting wet, so if your coop has good roof overhangs, or it's placed so wind doesn't blow rain inside, it will be good.
Mary
You need to do the rain from getting into the coop. The coop needs to stay dry.
Where is the water coming in?
Thank you!! I listened to you all and sold the little coop and built this one!! So much better. I’m so glad I found this page. You all have helped me so much! Thank you that I what I will do then!!

Back
Top Bottom