1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pineapple for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by auntpea35, Jul 7, 2010.

1. auntpea35

auntpea35 New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    I just cut up a fresh pineapple and am wondering if chickens can eat the outside of the pineapple

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    It couldn't hurt to try if they don't like it they won't eat it.
    Let us know on the result!

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    there is a treat chart on here if you search it................ say's citrus is not good for them [​IMG] I gave them to mine once , they lived

I know marths stewart puts them in a pitcher with a cup of sugar. then pours hot water over them and soaks for a day to get flavored water [​IMG]

4. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Just FYI... pineapple is not a citrus fruit.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:and citrus is fine for them anyway chart or no chart.

6. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I've given mine the outside of a pineapple before. they weren't so sure what I was bringing them, but I usually have good stuff so they tried it!

They pecked off all the soft fruit part and left the outmost shell. I would imagine it doesn't do for a steady diet (low protein, etc.), but it's a good treat.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    For all the charts and what to feed and not to feed information, I am wondering if there is any documented instance where a chicken was harmed by eating some food stuff of any kind. I understand poison (rat, mice, fly, herbicide etc.) but seriously not sure there has ever been a case of a bird being fed something from the fridge that hurt them.

Anyone have any stories regarding this? We eat things that are very good for us and stuff that is not so good. I am guessing chickens are very much the same.

8. Goatherd82

Goatherd82 New Egg

May 6, 2010
    Gaines, MI
    I've heard that excessive fruit can make hens stop laying for several weeks, but how true that is I cannot say. Tomatoes (technically a fruit, after all) and pumpkins never seemed to cause problems for my girls, although I think it was just two or three of the 25 hens I had at the time that actually ate the pumpkin I gave them.

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I get that they will lay less if the protein is less and good nutrition etc etc. Still asking if chickens have ever become ill after eating from the dread "do not feed list". Or more specifially from the (I can eat it but the chickens will die list)??

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    As far as I'm concerned the "If you can eat it they can eat it" rule applies. Most every Saturday we clean out the fridge & all the leftovers go to the chickens. We've only done this for 50 years or so but no problems so far.
    One item on the don't feed list is Lamb's Quarters. Lamb's Quarters is a wild form of Spinach & is a common garden weed. I pull it & toss it to the chickens all the time with no ill effect. I don't give them all of it, we eat some. It's delicious.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by