Piney Boy

BuckEye2003

Hatching
Jan 3, 2017
New Jersey Pinelands
Hello from Southern New Jersey! My name is Haydn and I'm a teenage boy with a flock of around 30 assorted birds. I've recently had a horrible experience with finding ripped apart birds after I come home from school. It breaks my heart finding my pets dead, but today I finally decided to take to the internet. Something put a 3 foot wide hole in my fence and came in, hunting down and mutilating one of the babies. She was one of my favorites. I just would like to know what on Earth is responsible for this and how I can prevent another attack. Thanks!

G’Day from down under BuckEye2003
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am so very sorry for your loss and do wish that the circumstances under which you join us were nicer.

I recommend posting your question on the Predator and Pests Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

If you have some pictures of the damage done to your fence, they also might be helpful in identifying the culprit.

The current Topic of the Week is Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators so you might like to check that one out also: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1147166/topic-of-the-week-keeping-the-flock-safe-from-predators

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry to hear of your loss, that's always rough. Hope the links you've been given help.

Thanks for joining us and if you need help finding answers feel free to ask.

Nice to meet you Haydn, sorry for your loss. What type of fencing do you have? Chicken/poultry wire only keeps chickens IN, it does nothing to keep predators OUT. They can slice or bite through it like butter.

If you posted photos of your coop/run we might be able to offer suggestions on predator proofing it.

Back
Top Bottom