pinioned wings! grrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by slim1986, Nov 12, 2011.

1. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Why must people pinion the wings on their ducks! I bought a pair of ducks at our local auction for my wife, the drake is black with a green head and a white chest and the hen is black white and green, gorgeous ducks, but the hen has been pinioned!!!!!! I would understand clipping flight feathers but to clip the whole tip of the wing off! I'm a firm believer in leaving birds alone and natural, no debeaking my chickens, and no pinioning wings! Had I looked a little closer and notice they had clipped her, I would have had my wife pick out a different pair of ducks! Anyone else feel the same? Or is it just me?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Depending on the breed, where you live and local laws, and where they will live depends on if pinioned wings are needed.

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I think pinioning and beak trimming are sick.

5. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Quote:Well to me they look ancona or a cayuga cross? But it was only the hen, the drake is intacted, and I've never heard of any laws here in Arkansas like that? We've had mallards and we didn't have to do that with them and they are flyers

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If they are a domestic large duck then who ever did it was uneducated on what they were doing. Only reason for a domestic is if a massive injury that a Vets care wouldn't help recover fully.

7. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Quote:I got some red laying hens off craigslist this summer and most of their beaks were cut almost all the way off! Something the guy failed to mention when I said I wanted them, and I showed up and couldn't just leave them in the condition he had them in! So I brought them home and love them anyways!

8. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I completely agree. Flying is sometimes the only way they can escape danger. I believe it makes them much more vulnerable and nervous when they cannot fly. I feel the same way about ear cropping dogs.

9. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Quote:Ok, that vet thing makes a little sense, didn't even think of that! (Lol silly me) its so beautiful when my ducks are down at the pond and they take off flying in! But then there she is jumping and flapping her hardest trying to fly with them! They are all heavier breeds so its just 2 or 3 feet off the ground but she can't even do that! [​IMG]

10. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    These are my wifes ducks! The one with the most white is the pinioned hen any idea what breed tho?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by