Pink-ish/Blood-like stool... ?

1hawaiian

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Just acquired my first 4 RIR hens five days ago and they are about a month old says breeder.

I noticed a couple days ago a couple pinkish/red droppings in the coop and thought maybe one of the girls were maybe eating earthworms or something.

However, three days later I'm suspecting something is wrong with one of the chicks... as I have watched all of them poop except this suspected one... she's quite a forager in comparison to the other girls, she does eat when I set out the starter feed.

BUT, she's always the first to leave the feeder and go and forage instead.

She seems healthy and doesn't seem to be losing weight but now I'm a bit concerned that she may have something wrong with her.

I don't visibly see any worms in their stool nor hers...

Any guesses on what may be wrong with her?

Thank you!

Last edited:
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
Here is the poo page (graphic).

See the above link please to check if it is just normal shed intestinal lining or if it is bloody poo.

Liquid blood is not normal. The shed intestinal lining will appear kind of mushy bloody looking from my experience.

Bloody poos can be a sign of coccidiosis- usual age is 8 weeks of age and under.

Coccidiosis: Lethargic, stands in corner by herself, won't eat or drink, acts cold with feathers fluffed up, very swift killer of chicks, may or may not be bloody poo present, may or may not have gone out on the ground, may or may not have been fed medicated chick feed.

If it is actual bloody poo- not shed intestinal lining- I recommend treating for coccidiosis as it kills very fast - some in the flock will not act sick yet whilst it does its damage to the intestine.

Last edited:
I am very grateful for you taking the time to help me and for providing the link and its images...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

You have made me feel greatly at ease now!

It's only normal shed lining... Thank goodness!

Back
Top Bottom