pink silkies

Quote:
Mahogany plus lav/lav I have a project, but am at F1. There are threads on The Coop (where all the folks really knowledgeable on chicken genetics hang out (including those on BYC), and the optimism on whether it will work or not is quite mixed.

Sonoran, Thanks for the tip. I do need to start learning more about the color genetics, and if there is a good thread on The Coop, then I will have to check it out.

Quote:
Mahogany plus lav/lav I have a project, but am at F1. There are threads on The Coop (where all the folks really knowledgeable on chicken genetics hang out (including those on BYC), and the optimism on whether it will work or not is quite mixed.

May I assume that the Mahogany over rode the Lavender in the F1s? Would you then breed the F1s back to the Lav parent? But then, you may not want to give out your recipe just yet?
wink.png
lol.png
Sure would be neat to see, although I somehow doubt a "flamingo pink" could ever be produced. But who knows, I've been veeeeeery wrong at least a few times in my life!
gig.gif

A mauve-like pink is much more likely than flamingo fuchia or pepto bismal.

F1s are black; and not silkied.

Quote:
Who says chocolate isn't working right? Of course, there are both choc and dun variations.

What I was getting at is that there are people out there trying to get a true chocolate, but it seems that the success is very limited as to the number of breeds that are coming through true, and from what I have been reading they are almost all in the UK or Europe. It isn't like anyone can just go and get a few chickens that are being called chocolate and have their own. I got 3 supposed chocolate bantam wyandottes and 2 are a light dun and the other is almost black. Not my idea of chocolate. I have Blues out here that have faded closer to Chocolate that these birds.

Still, I appreciate the info you gave.

Minniechickmamma,

You have to decide whether you want genetically chocolate chickens or those that "look" chocolate. I've seen some genetically chocolate ones that don't even look chocolate to me but they are definitely sex linked chocolate and breed true. The other color genes can affect the way it looks. I have a single, pet white silkie hen. I need to find a black hen and try a breeding sometime to try to make a chocolate silkie, that sounds cool. I have a chocolate Serama hen that is a C size so she isn't tiny. I'm just now getting the first chicks from her and will be keeping all the cockerels since they will all be splits for chocolate. I could breed a black Silkie hen and get chocolates in first generation then take those chocolates and breed back to blacks for more and work on the type.

Here is my hen, Truffles. I'm getting black chicks from her and my wheaten rooster. The cockerels will be split for chocolate but the pullets will not get the chocolate gene from her. I will breed one of her best sons back to her though and I should get chocolate pullets and cockerels.

This is a direct link to her album, hopefully it works

http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums...ive Hills Farm Poultry/Serama Album/Truffles/

Minniechickmamma,

You have to decide whether you want genetically chocolate chickens or those that "look" chocolate. I've seen some genetically chocolate ones that don't even look chocolate to me but they are definitely sex linked chocolate and breed true. The other color genes can affect the way it looks. I have a single, pet white silkie hen. I need to find a black hen and try a breeding sometime to try to make a chocolate silkie, that sounds cool. I have a chocolate Serama hen that is a C size so she isn't tiny. I'm just now getting the first chicks from her and will be keeping all the cockerels since they will all be splits for chocolate. I could breed a black Silkie hen and get chocolates in first generation then take those chocolates and breed back to blacks for more and work on the type.

Here is my hen, Truffles. I'm getting black chicks from her and my wheaten rooster. The cockerels will be split for chocolate but the pullets will not get the chocolate gene from her. I will breed one of her best sons back to her though and I should get chocolate pullets and cockerels.

This is a direct link to her album, hopefully it works

http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums...ive Hills Farm Poultry/Serama Album/Truffles/

You can get chocolate coloured birds with the dun gene; it is recognised as "chocolate" in several breeds, including polish and OEGB.

The standard makes no distinction for the genes involved in the "genetic recipe" that creates the variety--all the standard defines is appearance. Thus, you can get several varieties built with either splash or dominant white, with e^b or E^Wh, with different gold diluters, etc. Dun and choc can both be used to create a chocolate-coloured bird. choc is a fairly recent arrival in the US, so getting choc birds is still an ongoing process. Dun has been her for a good long while, and is sufficiently developed that the variety is recognised.

So, these bantam Wyandottes I received as substitutions this summer... I got 2 duns and one that looks black. How would I use these to get the chocolate that actually looks chocolate brown?
Can you recommend a book that is good at explaining all this color breeding?

I know that in rabbits, chocolate is sort of a pop-up color. You can get it from breeding two solid colored rabbits (I have mini rex). I actually got one a couple of years ago out of a two black parents. Is this the same general principle with chickens?
I didn't think I could do anything with these 3 chicks being that they don't look like any color I have read about in my SOP, so I was thinking to get rid of them.
If I can breed them to get actual chocolates, I will keep them around.

Back
Top Bottom