Pipd's Peeps!

When do you plan on picking your keeper cockerels?

I'm observing and actively deciding on that every day. :) So far, what I've got is that one of the Dark Dorking cockerels has a hip / back deformity, so he's off as I don't want him to pass that on to any offspring. I'm debating on Vander (?), as I'm so attached from nursing him back to health, but again, if his issues are genetic I don't want him to pass that on... And the more coppery Black Copper Marans has bitten me, so he's not likely to be a keeper. I actually was only going to decide from among the Dorkings, but the other Marans cockerel is such a sweetie so far that I've added him to the mix of possible keepers.

Meanwhile, unless he develops some undesirable personality traits as he matures, I'm fairly sure I'm going to keep the larger of the two correctly colored Red Dorking cockerels. Been thinking about naming him Dante, but I want to be sure his personality won't go south before I settle on him being a keeper. I also really like the rose comb Dark Dorking for his looks and temperament so far, and the dark gray colored Dark Dorking cockerel is SOOO handsome :love , but his temperament hasn't been too great so far (although he hasn't bitten me like the Marans, so there's that...). Considering I wanted to keep the Reds for a specific reason, it may be better to just choose two of them, but these other boys are making it so hard!

So that means, out of the 9 boys in the batch, so far I've narrowed it down to, err, 7 of them... :lol: But I figure I have until fall to make a final decision on them. I don't want to have to figure out housing for all of them for the winter, so that's my time limit. :)

I think you should reallly keep Vander :D
When I saw he wasn't Vida anymore, this was me: :th :hit *cries like a baby*

Anyway....
The only thing is if his problems are genetic, like you said :/

I know, I was so upset, too! I can't believe I didn't realize sooner! :( It's a tough choice, because if I keep him then I have to figure out housing for him. The other little roosters beat up on him, so he's still with the pullets. If he can integrate into the flock without Reuben and Winter objecting, I suppose he could live there in peace as long as I make sure to separate him long in advance of hatching any eggs. Otherwise, he would have to be kept in a pen all on his own, and that just seems sad to me... It's something to think about.

I know, I was so upset, too! I can't believe I didn't realize sooner! :( It's a tough choice, because if I keep him then I have to figure out housing for him. The other little roosters beat up on him, so he's still with the pullets. If he can integrate into the flock without Reuben and Winter objecting, I suppose he could live there in peace as long as I make sure to separate him long in advance of hatching any eggs. Otherwise, he would have to be kept in a pen all on his own, and that just seems sad to me... It's something to think about.
I feel you, Trust me I do!My Pullet keeps getting beaten up, and I can't decided on separating her, or not(its a lot more complicated then that though)

I think if Reuben and Winter are alright with him, then yes keep him.

Aw, well I hope you figure out what to do with her! My current plan is to see what happens with Reuby and Winty. The bigger cockerels have begun chest bumping amongst themselves, so Vander may start getting some spunk soon, too. That will be the real test. Of course, if he tries anything with Reuby, he'll have another thing coming. I watched Reuby kick Winter's behind half way across the chicken yard the other day for daring dance at Margaret in front of him. :lol: I think Winter learned a pretty hard lesson that day.

Anyway, happy Independence Day! :D I have some pictures to share today. I actually took them yesterday, but before I could upload them a big storm rolled through and I had no internet connection most of the rest of the night--GASP! Anyway, a lot of them are of the little girls because I spent some time sitting with them. I've been trying to sit with them more often (when it's not raining) so that I can try to tame them some more. They are really sweet, and they do come over to me when I sit with them, even climb on my boots, but most of them still shy away when I reach out to pet them. The exception, to my surprise, is Perdita. She got a lot of attention when she was very small due to her leg issue, and she became very shy, I think because I was trying to move her leg around and get it stronger and it likely didn't feel too good. Yesterday, she was the only one that willingly stood still while I stroked her chest and petted her back. She even let me lift her onto my lap and made herself perfectly at home there until I finally had to move her to get up. Just like a Dorking should be. :love Here she is being a total ham:

Perdita ham.jpg

And in my lap, before she sat down and got comfortable:

Perdita lap time.jpg

Here are all my little girls! They always crowd right on over, but if I tried to reach out to them, they all backed away slowly. :rolleyes: Well, except Perdi.
Nadine, Reinette, Perdita, Tessa, and Echo five's a crowd.jpg

Here's a shot of Tessa. She's so pretty. :love

Tessa.jpg

Reinette :love Unfortunately, she is losing her spots as she grows, but she's still just absolutely gorgeous!
Reinette close up.jpg

Perdita again. It amazes me how absolutely evil these birds can look if you get them from the right angle. :eek:
Perdita angered.jpg

Nadine, who remains queen of the baby yard. She's a BIG girl, too! You can kind of see it in the group picture above, but she dwarfs the other girls!
Nadine.jpg

And then there's this lug. :rolleyes: Looking at him now, it's hard to see why I ever thought he was a pullet. (P.S. You can see some of his shiny saddle feathers coming in on his back in this shot.)

Vander.jpg

Oh yes, and the Broody Brigade, who were in with the pullets yesterday. Cazzie (who is still in broody mode in this shot) and Margie. Marka, who is not in this picture, is also part of the Brigade this round, and Rowena just had to be booted out of this pen because rather than reform, she decided to just brood in the corner anyway. :rolleyes:

Broody brigade.jpg

About 10 minutes before the above picture, this is how I found Cazzie. They kicked all the bedding off the shelf here, and she was still sitting there and brooding. :rolleyes:

Cazzie broody.jpg

Here's a quick shot I took of the Black Copper Marans boys. The one in the background is the biter, but the one up front is a sweetie, and possible keeper even though he's not a Dorking. You can see he's not very coppery for a Black Copper, more of a cream color if anything.

BCM cockerels.jpg

Here's Freema monopolizing the dust bath. :lol: Nobody better mess!

Freema dust bath.jpg

A little later, my sweet Orpington, Rooska, took a turn at it. Look at this sweet face! :love

Rooska sweetie.jpg

"Do you mind?! I'm trying to take a bath here!"

Rooska do you mind.jpg

Here's my perpetually elusive Easter-egger, Maggie. I can never get a good picture of her. Even this one turned out so dark her colors are all off! :barnie

Maggie.jpg

She Who Sleeps Standing Up will pose beautifully, though! :love

She Who.jpg

Here's Flury Floofle-Poofles hamming it up for the camera, too. :lol: This girl is having an internal battle with herself between her usual aloofness and her Cochin heritage of being a snuggie like Cazzie. She actually walks toward me sometimes now!

Flury hammin it up.jpg

Of course, she still has a reputation to keep, so she will deny all claims of sweetness.

Flury.jpg

Abra has no problems accepting the sweetness that runs in her Cochin blood. :love Look at this face! I adore her eyes!

Abra.jpg

And finally, they don't come much sweeter than my precious, sweet Dorking, Elly. :love Of course, a very tasty-looking leaf had her distracted in this shot. :lol: She's missing tail feathers because when she went broody a while ago, she started to molt and then quit and went back to egg laying. Because that makes total sense to do. :rolleyes: But gosh, I just adore this bird no matter how crazy she is!

Elda hunger.jpg

Aw, well I hope you figure out what to do with her! My current plan is to see what happens with Reuby and Winty. The bigger cockerels have begun chest bumping amongst themselves, so Vander may start getting some spunk soon, too. That will be the real test. Of course, if he tries anything with Reuby, he'll have another thing coming. I watched Reuby kick Winter's behind half way across the chicken yard the other day for daring dance at Margaret in front of him. :lol: I think Winter learned a pretty hard lesson that day.

Anyway, happy Independence Day! :D I have some pictures to share today. I actually took them yesterday, but before I could upload them a big storm rolled through and I had no internet connection most of the rest of the night--GASP! Anyway, a lot of them are of the little girls because I spent some time sitting with them. I've been trying to sit with them more often (when it's not raining) so that I can try to tame them some more. They are really sweet, and they do come over to me when I sit with them, even climb on my boots, but most of them still shy away when I reach out to pet them. The exception, to my surprise, is Perdita. She got a lot of attention when she was very small due to her leg issue, and she became very shy, I think because I was trying to move her leg around and get it stronger and it likely didn't feel too good. Yesterday, she was the only one that willingly stood still while I stroked her chest and petted her back. She even let me lift her onto my lap and made herself perfectly at home there until I finally had to move her to get up. Just like a Dorking should be. :love Here she is being a total ham:

View attachment 1064616

And in my lap, before she sat down and got comfortable:

View attachment 1064617

Here are all my little girls! They always crowd right on over, but if I tried to reach out to them, they all backed away slowly. :rolleyes: Well, except Perdi.
View attachment 1064613

Here's a shot of Tessa. She's so pretty. :love

View attachment 1064622

Reinette :love Unfortunately, she is losing her spots as she grows, but she's still just absolutely gorgeous!
View attachment 1064618

Perdita again. It amazes me how absolutely evil these birds can look if you get them from the right angle. :eek:
View attachment 1064615

Nadine, who remains queen of the baby yard. She's a BIG girl, too! You can kind of see it in the group picture above, but she dwarfs the other girls!
View attachment 1064614

And then there's this lug. :rolleyes: Looking at him now, it's hard to see why I ever thought he was a pullet. (P.S. You can see some of his shiny saddle feathers coming in on his back in this shot.)

View attachment 1064623

Oh yes, and the Broody Brigade, who were in with the pullets yesterday. Cazzie (who is still in broody mode in this shot) and Margie. Marka, who is not in this picture, is also part of the Brigade this round, and Rowena just had to be booted out of this pen because rather than reform, she decided to just brood in the corner anyway. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1064606

About 10 minutes before the above picture, this is how I found Cazzie. They kicked all the bedding off the shelf here, and she was still sitting there and brooding. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1064607

Here's a quick shot I took of the Black Copper Marans boys. The one in the background is the biter, but the one up front is a sweetie, and possible keeper even though he's not a Dorking. You can see he's not very coppery for a Black Copper, more of a cream color if anything.

View attachment 1064605

Here's Freema monopolizing the dust bath. :lol: Nobody better mess!

View attachment 1064611

A little later, my sweet Orpington, Rooska, took a turn at it. Look at this sweet face! :love

View attachment 1064620

"Do you mind?! I'm trying to take a bath here!"

View attachment 1064619

Here's my perpetually elusive Easter-egger, Maggie. I can never get a good picture of her. Even this one turned out so dark her colors are all off! :barnie

View attachment 1064612

She Who Sleeps Standing Up will pose beautifully, though! :love

View attachment 1064621

Here's Flury Floofle-Poofles hamming it up for the camera, too. :lol: This girl is having an internal battle with herself between her usual aloofness and her Cochin heritage of being a snuggie like Cazzie. She actually walks toward me sometimes now!

View attachment 1064609

Of course, she still has a reputation to keep, so she will deny all claims of sweetness.

View attachment 1064610

Abra has no problems accepting the sweetness that runs in her Cochin blood. :love Look at this face! I adore her eyes!

View attachment 1064604
And finally, they don't come much sweeter than my precious, sweet Dorking, Elly. :love Of course, a very tasty-looking leaf had her distracted in this shot. :lol: She's missing tail feathers because when she went broody a while ago, she started to molt and then quit and went back to egg laying. Because that makes total sense to do. :rolleyes: But gosh, I just adore this bird no matter how crazy she is!

View attachment 1064608
Beautiful Flock! I love Flury Floofle-Poofles!!! :love

Thanks! Flury is one of my favorites, too. She's just so grumpy that I want to hug all the grumpiness out of her! :lol: Well, and she's super squishable, too, so that helps. :D

Haha, yes! She's my only Cochin who hasn't been very tame! Heck, the other Cochin girls will race over to me for hugs when I go outside! It is kind of funny to watch her internally argue with herself. You can just see her thinking, "Yay, cuddle time! Wait, no, must resist the cuddles!" :lol: She actually let me walk up and pick her up yesterday, though. Of course, she shook her feathers out thoroughly once I put her back down, just to make sure I knew she was indignant about it. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom