Pipd's Peeps!

SO hard!!!!! There are so many wonderful breeds, so you need a few, then you find out the AMAZING color varieties they come in. A couple each of a couple breeds, and poof, you have 100 chickens and wonder what in the world happened :lau
I have at the moment counting chicks over 100. Even with my losses. In two weeks time I'll be offering up the ones we aren't keeping for sale. Will be out of town this next weekend or I would be shooting for then to try selling them.

I have at the moment counting chicks over 100. Even with my losses. In two weeks time I'll be offering up the ones we aren't keeping for sale. Will be out of town this next weekend or I would be shooting for then to try selling them.
Sounds like my house 🤣 I think I'm around 100. I have some family who are all ready to come help process chickens so, I think another 7 weeks or so and we'll start cutting back.

Your babies are so cute!

I've been having heat issues! Its been so hot that the babies need to be checked 3 or more times a day on water because of them kicking bedding into it. I'm getting some constipation in them because of this. Paying my friend to come over on my work days to check them for water and will be working on tops for the troughs so the garage can be open during the day with a fan. Also working on three outside pens in my small yard for babies. I've got some bones (structural part) up for one already but its so freaking hot and humid that its hard to work all day on it.

While we work on it I've been opening the outdoor brooder up as well because they are all panting. This summer is going to be bad I can feel it.

Get yourself a couple flat pavers to put the waterers up on, that should at least help with that! I'm sorry you're dealing with so much heat already, though. That's got to be tough even without peeps to worry about!

Judy is gorgeous no matter how irked she is at you about being locked up 😄 I'm glad Nora is doing well and you have your coop breach found and dealt with.

Seems to be, yes! I haven't seen any signs of eggs being stolen or anything getting into their pen in a while now! :yesss: I suppose that means I should finally let those broodies that have been grumping out there have some eggs. :oops: Duckling, up in the corner coop, is also starting to cluck like she wants to hatch, so I guess I'll just let the girls get the rest of my hatching done.

...Actually, with the weird chicks coming out of Gus's pen, I may just do one last batch from that pen in the incubator so that I can keep a closer eye on any further weirdos like that, and then let the girls finish out hatching for the other pens. 🤔

Your dedication to good breeding shows, I like your discipline. You know my story, I was just going to do BBS, now I have kinda BBA, plus chocolate, and mauve, and a random paint satin rooster that now I'm thinking I need to cross with a silver based black hen to see if I can get some clean paints... :oops: and added 2 more breeds that I want to have small breeding groups of 😬
LOL. I feel or resemble that wanting to do too much at once 2ndTink. I am really trying to talk myself down from all the different breeds I have and into focusing on one color. Its very very hard to do!

Haha, no shade intended! I just know that I don't want to spread myself too thin on the 820579 different breeds I want to have when the silkied Cochins are what I most want to see preserved and bred well, and doing so is simpler when you only have one variety (or I guess a few related varieties as the case is for me) to focus on 🥰

He said a mix, so I'm thinking he doesn't keep them in breeding pens. He also has polish. I'm posting a Pic. I know to stay away from the ones with their combs already popping up. 🤣 I don't expect you to be able to tell, but just wanted to post it. It's 1.5 hours away and that makes for a long day for me these days.

View attachment 3844370

Ooh, they should end up being pretty little bitties from the looks of it, though! Definitely don't get any of them with combs popping already! Most of them, especially in that second picture, look old enough that the ones with super minimal combs without any flushing to them most likely should be girls... but that's still not necessarily a guarantee. Also look out for conspicuous patches of color (especially reddish or white) on the shoulders, as that tends to indicate masculinity. Some pullets will get reddish or white coloring there as well, but it doesn't tend to stand out conspicuously and instead generally sort of blends with the rest of their patterning. Good luck if you decide to make the trip for them! :fl

Sounds like my house 🤣 I think I'm around 100. I have some family who are all ready to come help process chickens so, I think another 7 weeks or so and we'll start cutting back.

I had come to the sudden and shocking realization at some point last year that I had gone from around 70 birds to somewhere in the vicinity of 130 birds counting all the chicks I had hatched! :th I had dropped below 100 after selling and processing a bunch, but I imagine I'm back up in the triple digits with the chicks I've hatched this year because I've not been trying as hard as I should to sell off the extras I still have from last year :oops: I'm pretty confident the hens would go quickly if I put them out there, but I'm kinda holding out hope that maybe some of the roosters will sell on their own so that I have the hens to add as extra incentive for people to take the rest of the roosters.

...If that makes sense. 🤨 Struggling with my wording today.

Ooh, they should end up being pretty little bitties from the looks of it, though! Definitely don't get any of them with combs popping already! Most of them, especially in that second picture, look old enough that the ones with super minimal combs without any flushing to them most likely should be girls... but that's still not necessarily a guarantee. Also look out for conspicuous patches of color (especially reddish or white) on the shoulders, as that tends to indicate masculinity. Some pullets will get reddish or white coloring there as well, but it doesn't tend to stand out conspicuously and instead generally sort of blends with the rest of their patterning. Good luck if you decide to make the trip for them! :fl
Thank you for your insight! :hugs

I'm down to maybe 15 in the brooders, so once I have them outside and settled and the brooder room totally scrubbed down, maybe I'll start to get the hatching bug again 🤣 I really would like to hatch some from my satin paint over a silver based black, and you know they way chickens like to just up and keel over... if I want to be sure to get some of thay cross, I kinda need to hatch ASAP :th lol.

I have to get some birds shuffled around, some need to be processed (older flock of egg eaters, they make everything hard, I can't add new chickens to that flock and can't move the ones I want to keep from there to another flock), and tons of extra cockerels from my layers I hatched this year.

I haven't had luck selling the cockerels, but the ones I've advertised so far are BYM, makes sense what you're saying about selling your boys and then maybe extra hens.

Thank you for your insight! :hugs

Of course, happy to help! :hugs

I really would like to hatch some from my satin paint over a silver based black, and you know they way chickens like to just up and keel over... if I want to be sure to get some of thay cross, I kinda need to hatch ASAP :th lol.

Oh goodness, I worry about that so much! I wanted to hatch from Peanut Butter when I hatch from Gwenyth because I worry about that a lot, but of course PB has decided to have the earliest annual molt ever so no eggs from her any time soon :th I suppose I hadn't planned to hatch from Gwenyth just yet anyway, so maybe PB will come back into lay by the time I do. :fl

I have to get some birds shuffled around, some need to be processed (older flock of egg eaters, they make everything hard, I can't add new chickens to that flock and can't move the ones I want to keep from there to another flock), and tons of extra cockerels from my layers I hatched this year.

I haven't had luck selling the cockerels, but the ones I've advertised so far are BYM, makes sense what you're saying about selling your boys and then maybe extra hens.

Yeah, it seems like it's tough to sell even purebred roosters this time of year. I had a lot of interest in them (but no commitment :barnie ) a month or two ago, and last fall it seems like I sold quite a few of the cockerels I'd hatched, but right now it's just crickets.

So, I found 3 bantam hens - one sebright and 2 oegbs. I asked why they were rehoming and they said because their child is going off to college. They aren't too far from me either. :wee
I found them on Craigslist and it took forever for them to get back to me. I have reached out regarding different chickens on CL and most never responded even though they only have an email contact. These posts seem to be older. I just wonder if it's a CL glitch, going to spam, people really don't want to get rid of their birds, or they already got it rid of them, but don't know how to remove the ad? 🙄 I don't really know, but CL is somewhat annoying.

Heartbroken. I'm closing up coops right now and realized that Wyatt's flock was still outside and not acting right. Went into their coop to find our Judy Booty lying freshly dead by the roost. No injuries or anything, not sure what happened, but she has some kind of bloody mass hanging out of her vent that likely is the cause (unpleasant imagery). I'm so shocked and devastated. She was completely fine this morning! I put what I believe may have been her last egg under Morena just now, so hopefully we get at least one more Judy Booty baby. 🙁

Back
Top Bottom