Pipped at 20 days- looks like egg yolk on beak?

Bambiupnorth

Hatching
Aug 3, 2020
Unassisted pipping occurring on day 20. Looks like chick break and membrane is yellow with yolk. I have never had a chick that h like this. It was peeping earlier.. I came to peek through top again, and not its sitting still, break is emerged. I'm concerned with seeing yolk.. will try to attach photo if I can get one through window.

Unassisted pipping occurring on day 20. Looks like chick break and membrane is yellow with yolk. I have never had a chick that h like this. It was peeping earlier.. I came to peek through top again, and not its sitting still, break is emerged. I'm concerned with seeing yolk.. will try to attach photo if I can get one through window. Worried he is drowning in yolk.. looks like it popped and popped yolk. Beak is open, not moving? Gah. I wish I had broody hens to hatch these things for me so I didnt have to deal with freak hatch deaths that I have to witness.
20200803_124022.jpg

Unassisted pipping occurring on day 20. Looks like chick break and membrane is yellow with yolk. I have never had a chick that h like this. It was peeping earlier.. I came to peek through top again, and not its sitting still, break is emerged. I'm concerned with seeing yolk.. will try to attach photo if I can get one through window. Worried he is drowning in yolk.. looks like it popped and popped yolk. Beak is open, not moving? Gah. I wish I had broody hens to hatch these things for me so I didnt have to deal with freak hatch deaths that I have to witness. View attachment 2275066
What is your humidity at? It's not yolk. That is very dried membrane. Your humidity is too low. He looks shrink-wrapped.
Here's one of my shrink-wrapped ducklings. The membrane turns from white=moist, to yellow/brown goop= very dried out.
20200530_153020.jpg
You need to have your humidity around 70%. You'll probably need to assist that one. Is it making yawning/chewing motions? That would mean there's still yolk.

That's odd. We've never touched humidity unless below 50% growing up. This is a very cheap incubator, have hatched our first set out no problem @56%. Yikes, I will increase it.

I'll add more water to see if the others survive.

I've been keeping an eye on it and it isn't moving at all, it looks to be dead.

I'll work it open and see how it looks.

Could it have been a premature hatch, even @20 days? Babe is definitely dead. Just stiff. Yolk was definitely all over from back end to face and coming out of egg. It was tight around the head area for sure, but the rest was supple. Yolk sac was still attached and had a good amount left in it. I didnt check to see where the tear was, but as it came out of egg it spilled all over. Never had this happen before.

Back
Top Bottom