Pipping at wrong end and dry membrane!

Pics

quackkquack_

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
It's me again with Newt, my call duck egg.
Newt was trying to internally pip yesterday from 4pm to 10pm. Around 11pm, he turned to the wrong side and cracked the egg before turning back to the air cell and trying again.
I just checked on him this morning and hes cracked more of the egg, only a tiny bit, and the outer membrane where the crack is, is dry. I candled him and I see a figure in the air cell but I can't tell what's going on in the egg.
He moves when I talk to him and hes been peeping off and on. What do I do? Please help, I don't want to lose him, I'm already very attached.

Last edited:
@BelovedBirds
Newt was trying to internally pip yesterday from 4pm to 10pm. Around 11pm, he turned to the wrong side and cracked the egg before turning back to the air cell and trying again.
I just checked on him this morning and hes cracked more of the egg, only a tiny bit, and the outer membrane where the crack is, is dry. I candled him and I see a figure in the air cell but I can't tell what's going on in the egg.
He moves when I talk to him and hes been peeping off and on. What do I do? Please help, I don't want to lose him, I'm already very attached.
Do you think you could help?

Read a couple of articles about assisted hatches here in byc, it helped me save one of my chicks. There are three layers, egg shell, outer membrane and inner membrane. If you can, chip the egg shell in either direction from where baby pipped. Then moisten the membrane with a wet paper towel. Leave the baby alone and see if that helps him zip more. If you don't see progress on a half an hour moisten the membrane again and see if you can peel some of the outer membrane, stop if you see full veins on the second membrane. Keep repeating until baby hatches.

My chick was only partially zipped, he couldn't move anymore because he was starting to be shrink wrapped. I think I waited 24 hours after his first pip and then started to assist. He was born a couple of hours later. A couple of days after he was born I put nutri drench and maple syrup into their water to get him a boost of nutrients.

Also, if possible find a you tube video with baby ducks peeping and play it near the incubator so the baby can hear. I did that for my chicks. When mama sits in eggs she talks to the eggs, so I figured this is sort of similar.

Read a couple of articles about assisted hatches here in byc, it helped me save one of my chicks. There are three layers, egg shell, outer membrane and inner membrane. If you can, chip the egg shell in either direction from where baby pipped. Then moisten the membrane with a wet paper towel. Leave the baby alone and see if that helps him zip more. If you don't see progress on a half an hour moisten the membrane again and see if you can peel some of the outer membrane, stop if you see full veins on the second membrane. Keep repeating until baby hatches.

My chick was only partially zipped, he couldn't move anymore because he was starting to be shrink wrapped. I think I waited 24 hours after his first pip and then started to assist. He was born a couple of hours later. A couple of days after he was born I put nutri drench and maple syrup into their water to get him a boost of nutrients.

Also, if possible find a you tube video with baby ducks peeping and play it near the incubator so the baby can hear. I did that for my chicks. When mama sits in eggs she talks to the eggs, so I figured this is sort of similar.
Hes peeping and moving a lot, he got through the air cell.
It's been 11 hours since he pipped on the wrong side so I pulled back two pieces of the shell and the outer membrane because it was keeping him from getting air if he turned back on that side. I candled him and didn't see his air cell, just the slightest bit but it was so hard to see, I think he shoved himself in it.
It also sounds like hes either chewing (absorbing his yolk) or hitting against the shell but I think hes absorbing.
When I put my light through the hole, I could see him moving but I don't see his beak anywhere. Should I make a hole at the air cell? (Though I can't see it so I'm nervous if I have to) Or should I wait about 4 hours before widening the hole some more?

Oh and hes moving and peeping a lot but I dunno if he can turn all the way to the hole I made/he made, me and my mom can see an eye (so she says, I can hardly see anything but him just moving). Should I make the hole bigger to where his beak is? (Which I think is just a little below the hole?)

EDIT: it is an eye, just saw him blink!

Oh and hes moving and peeping a lot but I dunno if he can turn all the way to the hole I made/he made, me and my mom can see an eye (so she says, I can hardly see anything but him just moving). Should I make the hole bigger to where his beak is? (Which I think is just a little below the hole?)

If he pipped only 11 hours ago, I would keep an eye on him, they can make a lot of progress very fast once they've absorbed the yolk. Since you've peeled some of the membrane I would dampen a paper towel and put it in with him and keep reweting it once it dries. Once you hit 24 hours then I would chip away the egg shell until you can find his beak and then let him go for a little while, 30 minutes or so... As long as he's able to move around he should be able to unzip.

If you're going to chip the egg shell only do it at the spot he pipped and then go left to right. That's how they unzip.

where abouts did he first externally pip?
Ducks are very slow hatchers. Sometimes calls do need help, which I believe is due to the length of their necks, or so I've heard. Even so, ducks are slow. From external pip to zip, can be 24-48 hours, once the zip is underway, it should get much much faster. But for now, let him be to do his thing. Before he hatches out, he will absorb the yolk and blood vessels.
If there is membrane showing, what colour is it? What is your humidity at? Have you raised it yet?
For now, leave him be. Talking to him is good, it will encourage him, you could also try playing an audio clip of ducklings peeping, that will also encourage him.
I know the feeling of being attached, I named my first duckling Dougie, while she was in the shell. And I talked to her and helped her through hatch. She did just fine despite needing a little help.
Hatching can be stressful, but the most important thing is to sit on your hands, wait and be patient. While waiting for him to absorb, it cant hurt to read the Assisted hatching article
But dont act on anything yet, ducklings take far longer than any other poultry. So far it sounds normal

Hes peeping and moving a lot, he got through the air cell.
It's been 11 hours since he pipped on the wrong side so I pulled back two pieces of the shell and the outer membrane because it was keeping him from getting air if he turned back on that side. I candled him and didn't see his air cell, just the slightest bit but it was so hard to see, I think he shoved himself in it.
It also sounds like hes either chewing (absorbing his yolk) or hitting against the shell but I think hes absorbing.
When I put my light through the hole, I could see him moving but I don't see his beak anywhere. Should I make a hole at the air cell? (Though I can't see it so I'm nervous if I have to) Or should I wait about 4 hours before widening the hole some more?
Definitely do not remove anymore shell, you're at risk of hitting a blood vessel. Its VERY early right now and this is normal, the hatching process can be days long. If the membrane is dry brush a little coconut oil onto it, just a little, with the tip of your finger. Dont candle the egg or handle it anymore. He needs time to hatch. Leave him be

Do not wrap the egg in a wet paper towel or having any wet cloths near him, this can chill them. If the membrane is dry, brush a little coconut oil on. But do not rush him, do not remove anymore shell. He's fine as he is.

Back
Top Bottom