Pipping eggs

keepitsimple

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Hi, we have chicks that are starting to hatch. - 2 have pips and 8-14 more should hatch over the next 10 days - This is our first time hatching eggs (but we have gotten chicks through the mail). We have a styrofoam incubater with little red things on top, an automatic turner and heater. When they hatch what do we do with them? Should I take out the red things on top? And should I unplug the turner (it wont turn of the heat)???? Please let me know as some will be hatching over the next 24 hours!!!! Thank YOU!!!!

Turner definitely off!!!! You should have removed it but I hesitate to tell you to open the bator for that with pips. That Turner on can injure or kill chicks.

Take the plugs out!! They need more air flow!

If you haven't already, up the humidity!! It is very important for chicks to successfully hatch and why you aren't suppose to open the bator around hatch time. Low humidity can cause chicks to stick to the inside of the shell and be unable to hatch or even be shrink wrapped by the membrane.

We took the turners off, removed the plugs and refilled the water. The two eggs that had pips in them are now two healthy chicks :)
This is one of them - just waiting for them to dry off!!

Last edited:
We have 8 thriving chicks that got moved to the barn yesterday. 1purebred polish, 3 polish/americaunas, and 4 polish/cuckoo marans.
I think I will do another batch with mainly Americauna eggs and see if I can get anymore eggs from my 8 year old polish hen :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom