1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pit Bull "Mix" targeted for triple S

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by centrarchid, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This evening just before dusk my wife alerted me to a commotion in the backyard. She said a very large dog was chasing one of my dominque roosters. I ran out and saw a rather large pit bull pushing 90 pounds galloping around yard with a teen age kid and his father in pursuit. Where the dog had already been two dom pullets were laying injured on ground. Dog owner promptly offered to pay for losses, I suggested $4 for each pullet to be generous. Dog was half heartedly going after another bird when I yelled contain that dog. The kid gave me rude confrontational response before his father intervened and told kid to get dog. The dog then proceeded to neighbors coop and pond where it flushed geese and tried to get into a well built coop of 20’ x 40’ scaring the crap out of the chickens and peacocks inside. Folks pursuing dog increased to five as they converged around neighbor’s property. I promptly began assessing losses I could find, two birds down with one moribund and other busted up, possibly with lung / air sac damage. Several birds could not be directly found because they either hid in heavy vegetation or flew (red jungle fowl and games) to up to safety on either roof house or trees a couple hundred feet away and 30 feet up.

As I began policing damaged birds the dog returned and chased other birds on ground strait to me. Doms cannot fly well enough to save life from opossum so they were in trouble. I stepped between dog and yelling and growling to get his attention. He stopped dead in tracks about 10 feet from me and looked at birds struggling in my hands and approached. I crouched down getting ready for a wrestling match and the SOB stared at me not the birds and gave a growl. He appeared to be sizing me up. I figured backing down was not an option so I gave my best ticked off crazy bull ape imitation (for me comes natural) and bluffed him out. I am three times the dogs size but he would certainly get a few good bites before I got him down. I yelled very loudly in direction of trailer court that dog was back threatening my chickens and if he was not contained he was mine to do with as I please. The owners came back giving chase again with dog going back to neighbors poultry yet again. Thereafter dog and pursuers were off to parts unknown. I then started looking for birds coming back from their refuges. My trained rooster Eduardo was one of those flying into tree across field. He can fly!

Apparently owners had little or control over dog and appeared to me they were a bit scared of him. Found out later same dog bit neighbor kid in chest and he showed me the scar. This dog is going down the road of SSS and pursuit will go to owners door step if need be. As I composed this dog came back a yet again but left before owner of geese arrived with rifle.

Luckily this occurred on a Sunday when I could intervene and the dog was a relatively incompetent chicken killer.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Take the first opportunity and SSS. We had one in our neighborhood loose for several days. The owners were too scared to grab the dog to take it back home so if it did not come back when they called .....well I was told it was my problem. Meanwhile I would not leave the house with the kids. The dog behind us ended up having to be euthanized. The dog broke its back. Animal control said they were not taking on a dangerous dog and called the police. They ended up shooting and hauling it off. Any dog where the owner has no control and is fearful is probably not a dog you want around people or animals.

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Yep, you gotta do what you gotta do...

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do what you gotta do.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Had the same scenario at my place in FL before I moved the flock to GA. Killed 2 outta 3 one morning about 4:30. Twelve gage auto with 00 buckshot. Rocked the whole neighborhood. Bagged them up and put them out by the road in a couple garbage cans. Never heard a peep outta the owner and the third dog never returned. Deal with it.........Pop

6. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    what is SSS???

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Shoot...Shovel...Shut up

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i have done that several times... one neighbor even took me to court once... i won the case because i had 5 very tame/neutral pit bulls myself... people like that give us responsible pit bull owners a bad name...

but like they said... if it is threatening your property, pets or family SSS without a second though...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Sorry that happened Centrarchid, it sounds like it could have been worse too. Maybe that training with Eduardo helped save his life! Good luck dealing with that dog.

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Very scary situation there. The dog could have literally killed you. I know, so many people don't mind their dog injuring you or your animals, as long as it doesn't cost them anything or their animal gets hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by