Pit Bull to the Rescue

PennySue

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Twin Lakes, WI
big_smile.png
I would like to tell you a story of my pit bull, Zac, and one of my laying hens. It's not what you are all thinking.
Yesterday, morning I let my pack of dogs out. The large dogs are fenced in the back, (Lady and Lugh, both German Shepherds, and Zac, my year old Pit bull). The 2 small dogs, Eddie and his mom, Lacy, took off for their guard/hunting duties. Around I heard the chickens let out with a "HAWK" call. I looked out and saw everyone huddled under the pine tree and didn't think anymore about it. At noon I went to let the dogs in but Zac refused. He was just sitting on the septic mound looking at me saying no way. I decided to let him sit there and went back to my other work. Around 2pm I had to leave, so I called to Zac again, still sitting there in the same place. Then I noticed a white lump in front of him. I went out to him and saw it was one of my hens with her back feathers ripped out and the flesh was raw and bloody. I went ballistic and screamed at Zac to get in the house. My first thought was that I have a killer for a dog. I went to pick up the poor mutilated hen and found out she was still alive. I looked around, found a feed sack, placed her on it and carried her back to the barn to die quietly. As I was walking back up front to the barn, I found her feathers under the willow tree where our resident hawk likes to sit. There were no feathers by her and Zac. The willow is yards away from where I found her with Zac. And the big dogs can't get out of the backyard. He didn't attack her he saved her!
It's a day later and she made it. Her back is really bad looking, but she was out and about with the girls by noon. I still don't know if she will survive, but I do know there is one scared hawk out there.

Last edited:
Thats awesome for the dog and the hen too, she's got a good protector!
big_smile.png
Gotta love pit bulls
love.gif

I hope she makes it, how have you been treating her wounds?

Quote:
I think it's because she found chicken feathers under the tree where the hawk sits, but the dogs can't get to that tree????

In any case, awesome! I'm hoping my pit bull will be the protector of my chickens too
big_smile.png

I'm letting nature take it's course. I kept her covered in with the feed sack until she walked out of it this morning. Her back is already starting to dry and scab up. She even laid an egg. I took pictures of her and once I figure out tonight how to post one I will.
I guess the hours of Zac licking her back to keep the flys off helped. Maybe there is a good reason why dogs lick their wounds, it helps healing. It's fascinating how he knew enough to put her in the sun. He even sat there through the heat of the day (he's dark gray).

I have a female german shepherd that is 2 yrs old and a pit bull that is 1 yrs old. The dog house is right by my chicken coop. I have had no problems with racoons or anything bothering my chickens. We have the invisible fence for the dogs so they can run on 1.25 acres. I have never seen a racoon around the house but I sure hear the coyotes. They don't even come close or they would be tore up.

Too bad pits get such a bad reputation! They can be such great dogs, like yours obviously is!
clap.gif

My black lab is such a wuss in the house, but send him to the yard and he guards both the chickens and the garden with his life. For some reason he made it his job, go figure.

Quote:
The chickens can't get into the backyard unless they can find the little dogs' escape hole in back. Nor could the little dogs drag a chicken through it.
The big dogs can't get out to the chickens in front.
When I got my hens as chicks, I kept the brooder in the same room with the dogs. Once in a while a chick would jump out, but not once did any of my dogs harm one of my chicks.
And he had at least 2 hours alone with her, if he wanted to eat her or kill he would have.

Last edited:
You are right about the bad rap. Mine is the most easy going pit i have ever seen but i have really worked with him by taking him into town and walking him around the square in town and even baseball games. I'm very proud of him.

Back
Top Bottom