Plants šŸŖ“ for the run :)

Jun 5, 2022
Hi! I was wondering what would be some good plants to plant outside of my chicken run that gets nonstop SHADE. I love climbing ones but wasnā€™t sure if itā€™d be a good idea since itā€™s in the shade, I didnā€™t want it making it too dark

I donā€™t trust Google so Iā€™m coming to yā€™all!

You could have some climbers on the north, and possibly the west if you get strong afternoon sun, but I agree that it would not be a good idea to completely cover your run with greenery. Chickens love some sunlight.

There are many vining plants that would work great. Pick some that do well in your locality and are not toxic (no caster beans!). Maybe check with a local greenhouse for suggestions. Hops might be worth consideration. While plants might not grow as big in the shade as in the sun, they can often still look great in the shade.

As far as ground plants, I don't know if Hostas do well there but there are a tremendous variety in size, colors, shape and height.

I have my run on the north side of my barn. I get some sun in the summer. I just set up some raised beds in the hopes of planting beneficial and survivable plants. šŸ˜‚ So this morning I finished putting together the raised beds in the chickens run. First one has clay for their dirt bath. The second one I filled up with loam then dug up clover patches and placed onto the loam. All before 7:30 this morning! Let's see how long it lasts. šŸ˜‚šŸ“ I plan to fill the remaining beds and plant herbs that I can propagate from my garden and protect them with chicken wire. If anyone has a suggestion for what to use for mulch I am all ears.

Attachments

• 7834BF5E-F631-4212-B633-F1D7FF6B5767.jpeg
    7834BF5E-F631-4212-B633-F1D7FF6B5767.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 82172548-1573-46F7-B7F1-9C6788804D7D.jpeg
    82172548-1573-46F7-B7F1-9C6788804D7D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 51EC3A64-AE48-4FFF-8F8C-DFF67E3C4855.jpeg
    51EC3A64-AE48-4FFF-8F8C-DFF67E3C4855.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 3A892D1D-5120-483A-870A-1E38AAB7B6AD.jpeg
    3A892D1D-5120-483A-870A-1E38AAB7B6AD.jpeg
    688.1 KB · Views: 12
  • BB30368C-6B6C-4A59-B764-8BC376379CBB.jpeg
    BB30368C-6B6C-4A59-B764-8BC376379CBB.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 11
Pretty birds!

Of course, anything planted inside the run that the chickens have access to will be totally demolished. But they will have a great time doing it.
Oh I knowā€¦when I first made the run 13 years ago I spread 3ā€ of loam. Purchased organic grass seed and watered faithfully twice a day. My husbandā€™s family were poultry farmers he grew up picking eggs. I said to him one morning that I needed to build a dirt bath before I let the girl in the run. Heā€™s response was, donā€™t you worry about thatā€¦they will make their own. And that they did. šŸ˜‚. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying raised beds. I actually just replaced the white clover with a new batch this morning. Thank you I think theyā€™re pretty darn cute.

Weeds grow really well. This is an annex to our run that I blocked off about 4 months ago because it needs netting repaired. Mother Nature did the restā€¦. FullSizeRender.jpeg
And this is whatā€™s growing on the outside of the main run: lambs quarter (a nice bushy weed) and a few pole beans. The chickens donā€™t seem to eat the lambs quarter, so you could plant it in the run. Just protect it from diggers. It will thrive anywhere.
IMG_4637.jpeg

I have 2 texas sage bushes, 3 crepe myrtles, and 1 fig tree in my run and chicken yard, they were all planted last spring. While they were getting established, I had 1 inch chicken wire around them and 6 inch landscape border. The chicken wire has been off of everything except 1 crepe myrtle since March and all is well. The landscape border keeps them from digging the roots up, and they don't seem to interested in the leaves.

Weeds grow really well. This is an annex to our run that I blocked off about 4 months ago because it needs netting repaired. Mother Nature did the restā€¦.View attachment 3552841
And this is whatā€™s growing on the outside of the main run: lambs quarter (a nice bushy weed) and a few pole beans. The chickens donā€™t seem to eat the lambs quarter, so you could plant it in the run. Just protect it from diggers. It will thrive anywhere.
View attachment 3552842
Thanks I plan to make some protection cages with chicken wire where I can set up a couple beds with the clover leaving one open at a time giving the other a chance to come back to life. Also, I plan to plant a few herbs in the other two beds that I will protect with chicken wire and allow them to eat whatever grows through. Actually, the pole beans are a great idea. I actually grow them out in the vegetable garden over an arbor for the hummingbirds. Great suggestions.

I have 2 texas sage bushes, 3 crepe myrtles, and 1 fig tree in my run and chicken yard, they were all planted last spring. While they were getting established, I had 1 inch chicken wire around them and 6 inch landscape border. The chicken wire has been off of everything except 1 crepe myrtle since March and all is well. The landscape border keeps them from digging the roots up, and they don't seem to interested in the leaves.
I live in Connecticut Iā€™ll have to check out if I can grow the Texas sage in my zone. Will definitely use your 6ā€ landscape border along with the chicken wire. I was thinking about getting some Chicken Wire Cloche to protect the herbs I plant.

Back
Top Bottom