PLANTS POISONIOUS TO POULTRY

I have several Elderberry bush's 10 feet from the coop that the girls eat (leaves) now and berrie;s when they come in. Should I try to remove the bush's? They ate them last summer with no ill effects that I could tell? Thanks

Quote:
I suspect that they will eat them with no ill effect again this year. There are several items on this list that are just wrong.

that's great info, thanks alot for sharing
cool.png

O.K., now I'm really confused. I don't have a large run and we have a lot of predators so I planned on taking the girls for a walk in my garden so I could supervise them, but some of the weeds I have the most trouble with are foxglove, buttercup, horsetails fireweed and ferns! What's a mother to do?

So elderberry's are ok?

I am a brewer and have batches of them left over. Thought they would like them.

Just want to be sure before I start saving them.

Patti

I am writing for HELP!!!!!

I have lost 3 birds in 24 hours with the same symptoms. First were 2 week old goslings and today a 6 week old chick. Drewling and what seems to be a slow death, more violent rigor than I would expect. I did find a nightshade plant that I thought think was what the goslings ate, but the chick today I don't "think" it got into it but maybe any help would be so appreciated. Are there any trees that are toxic for birds?

Thanks so much
Lisa

just came across this thread and I see nobody answered you. I sure hope you found your answers elsewhere. I am looking to see if honeysuckle is safe for chickens. They ate the leaves last fall pand seemed fine. I was going to plant it to cover a half circle 15 ft run to give them shade when they are under it in the summer. It grows fast and is pretty and smells great when blooming. I don't want to use it if it is toxic to the birds. So far I have not found anything to say it is toxic. Anyway I hope you figured out what was killing your birds. It has been a while so I guess you found out what did it.

just came across this thread and I see nobody answered you. I sure hope you found your answers elsewhere. I am looking to see if honeysuckle is safe for chickens. They ate the leaves last fall pand seemed fine. I was going to plant it to cover a half circle 15 ft run to give them shade when they are under it in the summer. It grows fast and is pretty and smells great when blooming. I don't want to use it if it is toxic to the birds. So far I have not found anything to say it is toxic. Anyway I hope you figured out what was killing your birds. It has been a while so I guess you found out what did it.
Honeysuckle does show up fairly consistently on lists of plants that are toxic to chickens. It's possible that people have had different personal experience.
But since you have a choice, why not pick something safer?

What about growing a grape vine? You can prune these back fairly hard each winter to a few main branches.
This way it won't get too heavy over the years.
They grow back fairly rapidly in the Spring.
Grape leaves are good for chickens, high in calcium.

by grape vine do you mean the ones with grapes or the wild ones that take over trees. Im not sure what grape vine is. Good suggestion btw. I did transplant some honeysuckle over their other run but it has not started growing yet cause i had cut all the vines off and it has not had much time to adjust to new spot. I can pluck it out anytime. also the wild american ivy I have some of that growing on a trellis area. I did not plant it I think the birds did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom