PLANTS POISONIOUS TO POULTRY

by grape vine do you mean the ones with grapes or the wild ones that take over trees. Im not sure what grape vine is. Good suggestion btw. I did transplant some honeysuckle over their other run but it has not started growing yet cause i had cut all the vines off and it has not had much time to adjust to new spot. I can pluck it out anytime. also the wild american ivy I have some of that growing on a trellis area. I did not plant it I think the birds did.

I have a 'Table Grape' vine, just one, in my backyard. I believe it is the Canadice table grape.
I cut it back hard every Fall to 18-24 inches. It takes off in the Spring and would cover the side of a coop.
(cutting it back hard means less grapes, but I'm growing it for the leaves for tortoises and chickens, as they are rich in calcium).

I'm looking for information about shiso (perilla frutescens) also known as beef steak plant. It is a type of mint that grows in purple and green varieties. It grows wild in the US but is regarded as a weed. Apparently it is commonly eaten in Asia but is said to be toxic or fatal to grazing animals (cows & sheep). I haven't been able to find information about shiso and chickens. Since the leftovers from my garden go to the chickens I don't want to plant something that would harm them.

I do know that birds can eat things that would make humans sick. Here in Florida, migrating robins stuff themselves with Brazilian pepper seeds and apparently get high/drunk as they may fly into solid objects afterward (which can be fatal). So I guess that makes them toxic to birds too.

I am new to keeping backyard chickens an i have two plants of concern. First is the creeping charlie, my yard is full of it and my chickens have eaten it with no ill effects. Whats the problem with creeping charlie?

The other plants i have a question about are my Hop plants. I know they are toxic to dogs but what about chickens?

true they are talking about the seeds
rubarb is the seed heads ( which are bery big on the plants) but my chickens never ate the leaves of my rubarb and my water from the washer ran on my rubarb patch so we had rubarb all summer as long as I took the seed heads off of it
the seed heads of rubarb are what is poisonious to chickens

Clover and alfalfa greens are not harmful to chickens just seeds of these
Do you ever use Clorox in your laundry? I’m asking because we are building a house and I’d love to have the washer drain out onto the garden!!! So the soap doesn’t hurt???

Do you ever use Clorox in your laundry? I’m asking because we are building a house and I’d love to have the washer drain out onto the garden!!! So the soap doesn’t hurt???
chlorine does eventually break down.
However, and I am speaking from experience here:
You do want to drain your washer into a leech pipe underground or the rather strong stream will erode the ground where you drain it to. Even with gravel.
And remember that the recommended amount of soap is from the manufacturer to sell the most detergent to you. Cutting this in half usually works well still.
and bleach eats your clothes if you are not careful.

Back
Top Bottom