Playhouse coop - cost?

4theloveofhens

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Just wondering, I found a $75 dollar little tikes playhouse coop I was thinking to change into a chicken coop. It's only missing one window shingle. I will still have to make a run, etc for my four girls. Just wondering if this is a good deal and if a playhouse (if you have the chance) is a better way to go then to construct a coop from scratch? I wonder what's cheaper...

Thanks!

3ka3p03o85V35R35S2a6u1dd9661e856a1fc8.jpg

We have 2 of them and made a duplex. Picked up "cull" wood at Home Depot for 50 cents a piece (including the 4X4's) to build the bases. We picked up "oops" paint so we have one really light gray (almost white) base and one light blue base. We have the back of the playhouse backed up to a wall so it doesn't matter if we lost a shutter or two (no wind there!). The only thing we payed full price for was the hardware cloth. Here is a picture.
56030_duplex1.jpg

IMO, $75 is a little much, especially with a missing shutter. I just bought the same exact playhouse for $40 in perfect condition...but I held out for a while to get that price.

Now he lowered the price to $50. It's a little bit of a drive, but he said he'd come part of the way to give it to us.... now the BF and I are going back and forth between getting it or just holding out and seeing if we can either get one cheaper, or just build our coop from wood like the original plan.

I'm picking up a BARBIE Playhouse this week from a CL ad.
gig.gif
It's pink and purple and just adorable. Even has a "Barbie sized" door - perfect for a pop door (for youngsters, not full grown LF) but I'm going to use this for the grow-out coop.

I've been studying all the playhouse threads I could find last night and I really think I can do this. It should be FUN, anyway!

Yep, I'd buy it for $50 (I did buy one for $60!). Still working on it but for us non-handy types, I think it's perfect. Will post pics when I am done but I have exactly that coop, and am painting it with Krylon so it matches our house and it's working pretty well.

this isn't mine but it's my favorite I've seen so far! We will be doing something similar as far as the run goes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=37990

On thing I have learned building my last one out of the log cabin, It's much easier for a large oversided person to get into a playhouse when it is on a platform!! (and the roof off, but they are easy to pop on and off!)

Back
Top Bottom