Playhouse into Coop -- Help for Newbie!

LoriE

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Carson City, NV
Hi! I am starting the process of turning my kids' unused wooden playhouse into a coop. It is currently under our two Giant Sequoias in the back yard:
IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

It will remain under the boughs of the trees when the chickens arrive. It isn't as tightly made as I remember, and that is my main concern. Since it will be under the "heat bubble" of the large trees, would I need to somehow close up the gaps between the slats for winter? Here's a pic to help you "assess" what I might need to do:
IMG_3615.jpg

I live in Carson City, NV, where the average winter temp is about 20 degrees according to www.wunderground.com. It is typically quite windy, although we don't have a lot of snow. The tree boughs (which go down to the ground) should block most of the wind, right? Any suggestions on the best way to go about this if you think we need to seal it up?

Thanks!
LoriE

During the winter, drafts and the possibility of small animals such as rodents and snakes could be a problem if the coop is not "bullet proof". Perhaps you could use some "in the can" insulation to squirt into the cracks to seal things up, then maybe a couple of coats of good paint would help.

Drafts on chicks can turn deadly and even though the house/coop is located in the hot air bubble, it could become a problem. You might even want to clear up the area best you can to discourage predators that will definitely show up once your birds feel at home. You may want to make sure you can 'keep an eye' out for them from inside your home.

That is the absolutely most darling opportunity to make a fantastic coop...I'm jealous! You really must take pictures inside and out as you perform the transformation!! : )

By our new city code, we can only have 4 hens, so that is what we will start with. We have 6-foot fencing around our large yard, so they will be able to free range during the day. I also plan on making a run for them in case they can't "cohabitate" with the dogs while they are both out in the grass, or when we are gone during the day.....

Lori

I would not recommend spray foam at all for several reasons, not excluding the mess.

If you're worried about drafts, just pick up some 1/4" luan from the local borg and tack it up inside.

Really though if 20 is the lowest temp (in F) you get during the winter I would not worry about it.

What kind of dogs do you have?

Fine building, BTW... Pull the astro turf up and lay down some porch paint over the wood. Unless there's gaps, which you would want to put down some plywood. Else you'll have poo and shavings under the floor which stink when wet.

Last edited:
I would beware of dogs. They have prey drive no matter how sweet they are. My cairn is the SWEETEST thing but I would NEVER let her near my chicks (the turkeys have her trained though)

You could buy some OSB board, its 5 dollars, cut it to size to make it tight (and could let the kids paint it for them to be involved) That way there are no drafts and it will stop little foragers

Quote:
The 20 degrees is the winter average -- it does get much colder, but only for nighttime and short spells. Thanks for the idea on the luan -- cheap and easy to install!

We currently have an ancient rescue pug (who probably will ignore the chix like she does every other animal on earth):

IMG_2403.jpg

and a rescue boxer:
IMG_3156.jpg

We will most likely be getting pullets, so I am hoping to introduce the boxer and have them be friendly. She doesn't have much "prey drive", so I hope that works in my favor....

Lori

Kudos on getting the pups from rescues. I've got two basset hounds from rescue, and two mutts from shelter. Got to say though, the mutts have the best personality.

Most likely will be fine with the pug.. I wonder though about the boxer. She ever pay much attention to birds/squirrels in the yard or whatnot?

Regardless a little training goes a long way. Guessing you're not getting a rooster, which would also add a fair bit to the training... In fact, an adult rooster might just harass the dogs.. Or even you.. Depends on the roo.

RE the lauan... OSB may be cheaper (1/4"), I have not checked prices in a while, but I fear water infiltration might do it in. The gaps along the side of the walls are a bit large. Before you lay down the lauan I'd recommend putting tar paper in and having the bottom cut out and slip outside of one of the lower gaps at the wall. This way any water that might find it's way in will be guided out. Might wish to give a coating of water proof on the inner 2x material.. With them covered they would need the protection incase of water contact.

RE the roof... It will need pulled off and set aside so that some 5/8th plywood can be laid down. You can then lay down some 30 weight tar paper (two layers better) and then replace the original timber sheeting over top, making sure that the gaps are limited.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback re: water infiltration. Luckily, we live in the desert, and don't have any kind of moisture problems around here. Those chix aren't going to have any problems finding a source for dust baths <grin>!

Lori

Back
Top Bottom