Please advise ... I have a hen with tail feathers facing down

May 22, 2022
Bountiful Utah
One of my hens is about 12 weeks old. Today she is not her normal clucky, friendly self. She is staying inside the coop and has her tail feathers down. She has a sad stare going on as well. I am new to raising chicks and have a very limited understanding. I thought though that they begin laying until around 18 weeks or so. Everything I am reading about her condition is being egg bound. Can that be?
I also have a rooster that I am trying to relocate (I can't have a rooster in my city limits) that I think has a bit of a crush on her. Could her behavior be because of that? I think the rooster is at least one week older than my hens. I thought I was getting 6 hens, 2 were a little older than the rest of them.
Please offer any help you can. I do not want to lose this hen. I know I shouldn’t have favorites, but she is definitely my favorite. Usually she comes right up to me and hangs out with me when I am in the pen. Today however, she very much wants to be left alone.

Now about the rooster...any ideas on where I can find a new home for him? I have put an add on Facebook, checked with local farms and have not had any luck yet with re-homing him.

The first pic is my spunky Merryweather - please offer advice on how to get her spunky back.
The second pic is the rooster - any takers?
IMG_2169.jpeg
IMG_2187.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2169.jpeg
    IMG_2169.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 3
Can you post a picture of the pullet showing her whole body so we can see her tail feathers in this down position you describe? Is she eating, drinking, pooping normally? Can you post a picture of her poop? What do you feed, including treats?

Oh, and what breed is she, do you know? When did you notice this change in her tail feathers?
Thank you for responding. The next day I went out into the coop and she seemed a little less lethargic and her tail was a bit perkier. By end of the day she was back to behaving like her normal self. All is well so far with her and the rest of the flock.

Thank you for responding. The next day I went out into the coop and she seemed a little less lethargic and her tail was a bit perkier. By end of the day she was back to behaving like her normal self. All is well so far with her and the rest of the flock.
Glad to hear. In my experience, a downward tail often indicates pain, so good job being alert. Keep an eye on her! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom