Will You Boycott C-A-L Ranch?

• yes

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters
At least where I live, Animal Control Officers are considered "cops" and go through the same training as the others, initially, and wear the same uniform. But I don't know about other areas... Where I live, if an officer is aggressively approached by a loose dog, it will be shot, especially if it is a pit-bull. The people who own them complain, but they have no case because the dog is loose and aggressive. It sounds like the Animal Control Officer is just trying to do her job... But they may get tired of the complaints eventually and quit responding to them, if there is repeatedly nothing to cite after they respond. It is unlikely that they are necessarily "out to get you" personally. When a complaint comes in, they have to respond, at least initially. Hopefully, you will get anymore personal threats from these people on a recording device (your cel phone?) and take that to the police. Make these neighbors come to you to do such things, you should stay away from them and off their property. That way, they can't say that they were provoked in any way, which would have prompted the threat.
Trust me, I have stayed away as much as I possibly can. I don't even like to go on that side of my yard, but I have to eventually. Before this, I never even looked over the fence. I had no idea what was on the other side. Nor does it interest me in the slightest.

The animal control officer is new, so she may be a bit overzealous in carrying out her duties. My concern is that she is acting as their agent, and she is therefore biased, because I have complaints about them that are just as valid, and their dog has already bitten her. Yet I'm the one who received a written warning for an issue that is totally subjective and no ordinance supports it. This issue was settled in court years ago, only the parties were different. The case was dismissed, and to my knowledge the issue has not come up again until now. Either the City has amnesia, or someone is trying to rehash an old issue.

I have to say that I I've been pleasantly surprised after shopping at my local family run feedstore, because they have locally produced (New Mexico) feed that you can't get at CAL Ranch. It is less expensive, and their prices on other brands like Flock Raiser are also less. You may not be able to buy everything there, like at CAL Ranch, but who wants a one size fits all store? I do have to go elsewhere for some things like gardening supplies, but I really wasn't liking the CAL Ranch selection or prices on that either. Plus, I like the idea of supporting a small business. If you talk to your local store, they may even match or better CAL Ranch prices.

Trust me, I have stayed away as much as I possibly can. I don't even like to go on that side of my yard, but I have to eventually. Before this, I never even looked over the fence. I had no idea what was on the other side. Nor does it interest me in the slightest.

The animal control officer is new, so she may be a bit overzealous in carrying out her duties. My concern is that she is acting as their agent, and she is therefore biased, because I have complaints about them that are just as valid, and their dog has already bitten her. Yet I'm the one who received a written warning for an issue that is totally subjective and no ordinance supports it. This issue was settled in court years ago, only the parties were different. The case was dismissed, and to my knowledge the issue has not come up again until now. Either the City has amnesia, or someone is trying to rehash an old issue.
Are you saying you've already been taken to court over these same yard/animal issues in the past?

All 50 states have a right to farm act, which were developed in the 70s, to protect farms from city folks who move out to the country and then complain or file nuisance lawsuits against farmers for normal farm operations, such as noise, odors, etc. If you are zoned agricultural you have every right to continue with your farming and your new neighbor should never have moved there.
That is probably the best post i have ever seen on the whole BYC, regarding (legal) issues with neighbors. I have a neighbor in a similar situation: City dweller bought the next parcel, is doin' target practice for the huntin' season the whole day, but complains about the ducks - yes, really those pesky, noisy ducks - next door.
The »Right-to-farm laws« one of the greatest things in this country and i didn't knew about it! Thank you very much!

That is probably the best post i have ever seen on the whole BYC, regarding (legal) issues with neighbors. I have a neighbor in a similar situation: City dweller bought the next parcel, is doin' target practice for the huntin' season the whole day, but complains about the ducks - yes, really those pesky, noisy ducks - next door.
The »Right-to-farm laws« one of the greatest things in this country and i didn't knew about it! Thank you very much!
Thank you for your compliment. Glad my post was helpful, and thanks for posting a link that explains it to others more completely.

I hope your neighbor with the ducks win.

Thank you for your compliment. Glad my post was helpful, and thanks for posting a link that explains it to others more completely.
I hope your neighbor with the ducks win.
They will surely do, all other neighbors have joined forces and have started to file noise-complaints about all the shooting. - There is no right to target-practice and the second amendment doesn't apply here.
@Chiriflor - Try to get your neighbors who have animals on your side and the next time the city-dwellers have a party file noise complaints after 10pm.

Last edited:
I don't know where you are in AZ, but we had property near Mammoth and wouldn't you know, big city couple moved in right next to us. She bitched and complained about everything with our animals, I worked for animal control at the time so there wasn't much she could do legally except annoy me. In the beginning she called the AZ AG dept. on us. I had taken cactus pads from a friend who ran a cactus nursery and planted them along our lower fence line so that *no one* could bother my horses. The AG guy came in and had coffee and muffins with me kind of explaining the complaint, fully knowing what a nutcase this gal was. I showed him where we had (we lived on a hilltop) taken baby Saguaro and relocated them into a cactus garden in an erosion control cut on the side of the hill, how we had made our back road twisty to avoid the big saguaro, and also took him down to where she had pulled up and thrown my cactus pads because they were too close to her property line. Next she ran over our mailbox on the highway and her meek minded hubby laid on our porch with an apology note. She started getting our mail for us to *help after the box was ran over*. I took that issue to the post office and they gave us a huge box in the PO with no charge. Then she started walking down our property line with her dog right next to my chicken and goat pens. I had built a pretty scaffold and let honeysuckle grow on it for shade, and cleaned their penned area every day. Her walking slowly back and forth there disturbed my little Nigerian goat mama's to the point that I collected dried out cholla and covered along my fence (we built all fences 1 foot inside our property line) with them. I never saw her stalking again.

Didn't mean to go on so long but that was only the beginning with them that lasted until we moved to here in NV. Here we have the opposite problems. I'm just hoping to win a lottery to buy enough property to never see another neighbor.

Why those ugly people! Sounds like they're just out to make trouble.

I agree, you should have the right to do what you want on your own property that you paid good money for, you should especially have the right to defend it. But around here, you can get in trouble for shooting someone else's hunting dog if it comes on YOUR property and I think it's very, very ugly. What if that dog threatens you or attacks you? Are you going to get arrested for defending yourself on your own property from someone elses animal?
I agree, but doesn't this come down to something simple?

If you're out in the country, there are no restrictions on what you can do with your property to earn a living. I'd check to be sure this is true, where you live, but ag and chickens shouldn't be an issue. This id10t can petition all she wants, but she moved to the country knowing (or should have known) what restrictions exist and would have seen that you're free to have as many chickens as you wish.

Back
Top Bottom