please critique OEGB

muddyhorse

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Bloomsdale, MO
Hello, this is our OEGB hen she is 13 months old. my DD showed her this fall she was BV at 2 apa shows there were 5 in one class and 8 in another ( not a lot of spangles in Jrs ). I an shopping for a roo for her. Could you tell me some of her strengths and weaknesses I need to work on. And any other roo advice is very welcome. I am hoping to find a Blue Spangled roo for her. I saw some at the show in Sedalia and they were stunning
droolin.gif

38899_100_1264.jpg

38899_100_1262.jpg

If you need more pics just let me know (fanned wings ect)

Thank you

I think what is in order would be a profile shot in which the bird is alert and "posed" per say, in her natural 'at-attention!' stance. Otherwise it is practically impossible for anybody to really know what her type faults are. We do not have a close up of her single comb, so we do not know if there are any twists in it or the correct number of spikes, we are not able to hold her in our hand to assess how well muscled she is, which is very important for a game bird. That assessment you will have to make at home yourself, although the judge must have liked her to place her as BV. We do not have a close enough/clear enough view of her color to give any good tips on color. From a distance she is a well balanced bird colorwise with a copious amount of tipping. We are not able to see the clarity of the black bar before each white tip, nor are we able to see the deep red with its stippling on the ground color. One thing that you should consider is that Spangled is a variety based off of the Mottling gene. The white spotting from the mottling gene has a tendency to have larger sized tips and more numerous white tips with age, meaning a well marked pullet is liable to become an over-marked and unbalanced hen in her older age, color-wise. The best birds start out with only modest white tipping and blossom - reach their peak in color - at the age of two years. I would recommend selecting a male with more refined and conservative tipping who comes from a background of birds that show good color balance at two years of age - or select a male with good color that is already two.

Best,
Kristen

yes, stand her on a table or flat surface... the wire on the cage makes them try to balance themselves all the time...

she's gorgeous... but a bigger pic would work better to check out plumage and stuff...

Back
Top Bottom