Please diagnose the problem with this Delaware

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewToChickensSJ, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NewToChickensSJ

NewToChickensSJ Hatching

Jan 22, 2018
    San Jose, CA, USA
    She is about 7-8 months. Started to do this suddenly.
    Shaking her head, walk backward until cornered.
    Flip over and cannot get up.
    Once she is up, she is ok for a while. Eats and drinks fine.
    She has been like this for a week now.
    I examined her. No mites or any other bugs. Ears looked clean.
    Thanks!

2. Lauren Kim

Lauren Kim Songster

Maybe Marek’s. Marek’s disease is a common poultry disease that paralyzes a certain part.

Dawnclucks22 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @NewToChickensSJ :frow Welcome To BYC

Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

It looks like she may have Wry Neck which is a symptom of illness like Marek's, head trauma and sometimes vitamin deficiency.

If it's Marek's, the only thing you can do is offer supportive care, make sure she is eating/drinking (help her if you need to). See that she has at least 18-20% protein feed or is getting extra protein treats like egg, tuna or meat.
    Add 400UI Vitamin E and 1/2tablet of vitamin B-Complex (no iron) to her food daily for a couple of weeks to see if that helps.
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    I'm sorry. If you have a vet that can see her that would be good.

micstrachan and Eggsoteric like this.
  4. NewToChickensSJ

NewToChickensSJ Hatching

Jan 22, 2018
    San Jose, CA, USA
    She was not vaccinated for Marek's, according to the person who sold me.
    I was suspecting neurological Marek, but wondered if it could be something else.
    I read about wry neck, but the head shaking and inability to get up doesn't look like wry neck. Also, I don't see paralysis. She is walking fine (forward and backward). Maybe a wing paralysis? I will check.

5. NewToChickensSJ

NewToChickensSJ Hatching

Jan 22, 2018
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Also, since she is not laying yet, I gave get 1/16 of a teaspoon of a broad spectrum antibiotics for the past 7 days (mixed with cat food), just in case it could be inner ear infection. I have not seen any improvement in the past 7 days. I will continue for 3 more days then stop. 10 days should be enough. I hope the dosage is correct. I was told 1 teaspoon/gal, but I don't know how much she will drink per day. It is easier to mix the powder with a small ball of pate and make sure she eats everything.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The walking backwards, the head shaking, ending upside, etc. Does look like Marek's to me.
    Marek's can present in so many ways - it's not cut and dry with symptoms.

What antibiotic are you giving - photo of the package?

puffypoo22 likes this.
  7. Poor baby.
    She may not be "paralyzed" at the moment but if it is Marek's I'm afraid she might eventually. In the second video you can see that she can't flip over and she's stuck like her muscles won't budge. Unfortunately it might continue to get worse and you might just have to make her comfy until nature takes its course, but hopefully someone might be able to help more.

8. NewToChickensSJ

NewToChickensSJ Hatching

Jan 22, 2018
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'm giving her Tetratex, broad spectrum antibiotic. The only one available in the store for birds. Due to restrictions, they don't carry antibiotic for chickens.
    I examined her. I don't see any paralysis yet. Wings and legs are fine.

9. Latestarter

Latestarter Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    First greetings and welcome to BYC. SO sorry you sick hen brought you to us but glad you've joined. First thought I had echos what's been said and I'm no pro by any stretch. Hope it works itself out for you. Hope you'll stay around regardless. Lots of great info, knowledge, experience shared in the threads, and great folks who will always try to help when you need it. Make yourself at home!

NewToChickensSJ likes this.
  10. Latestarter

Latestarter Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Oh, as an aside, please add at least your general location to your profile. It can be important due to climate and such.

rebrascora likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: