Please, everyone post pictures of your shabby and chic coops here

Awesome! Who knew? That is so cool. Thank you so much! You guys are great. Keep them coming... I am feeling inspired. :)

I repurposed a dog house that my weinerdogs never used. I have banthams so the size works. I was able to get free wood from work and spent $150 on hardwire cloth. Spend time in the foundation. That creates a sturdy run. I have no carpenter skills and used a saw, drill and patience. If I can do it, anyone can! Good luck!

I repurposed a dog house that my weinerdogs never used. I have banthams so the size works. I was able to get free wood from work and spent $150 on hardwire cloth. Spend time in the foundation. That creates a sturdy run. I have no carpenter skills and used a saw, drill and patience. If I can do it, anyone can! Good luck!

How do you clean it? Does the roof come off or do you have to go through the entrance? I love that the compost is right there :) smart!
Good idea. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm able to squeeze through the front of the doghouse and have a longer handled scooper that works good. I also line the inside with thin cardboard if super soiled I toss it all into the composter. It's working well for me. Since the doghouse is decades old, I didn't want to take it apart to add hinges... I added a roosting bar inside but my hens would rather chicken pile at night. I have 2 silkies and they are super furry like stuffed animals. I don't blame the mutt and naked neck for wanting to cuddle with them:)

This is my hoop coop I use it for my chicks or a bachelor pad it is 3'x4' with a 4'x8' run. I put a tarp over the run when it rains.

I used 10' pieces of 1" pvc pipe for the hoop run. The coop is made from 4'x4' OSB set on top of 2"x4'x12' frame

It is a portable coop so they always have fresh grass.

I just finished my first coop today. interior is 8x5 with an 11'x4' run. It is stick built with t-11 siding outside and osb inside panels The roof is shingle and the roof of the run is modified bitumin hotroof. It has 3 windows and vented eaves and 2 external nesting boxes. The door is a 30 incher that I made from ripping down an old 34 inch door and sandwiching with t-111 . it is on an existing concrete slab that I had poured when I built the new garage.I figure with paint and everything I have about $1000.00 into it.

I have 6 rhode island reds and 3 americuanas (sp). I have read a lot of debate about how many chickens it can house but I figure 9-12. I am tall and so is my wife so we wanted to be able to stand up inside. and also that high wall is going to have a shelf for me to store straw bales and their other stuff and keep it off the ground.. I have to do a few finishing touches today like put chicken wire over the windows and eaves and a bolt on the door but they should be moved into it today.

This is my hoop coop I use it for my chicks or a bachelor pad it is 3'x4' with a 4'x8' run. I put a tarp over the run when it rains. I used 10' pieces of 1" pvc pipe for the hoop run. The coop is made from 4'x4' OSB set on top of 2"x4'x12' frame It is a portable coop so they always have fresh grass.
Great idea too! Thanks for sharing what you made it of. I like the portability, I may consider doing something like this just for unsupervised grazing, outside their pen. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom