1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please explain what this means

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ginbart, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Can someone please explain what this means. I'm not sure if I have it right.

Blue Genetics:

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
    Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black This is the combination I use. It helps to keep a strong blue color in the line.
    Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    Black X Black = 100% Black
    Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
    Splash X Black = 100% Blue

Does it mean

If you cross a Blue and Blue you could get the % of chicks above

Like Blue X Black, means A Blue hen and Black roo or the other way around, could give you, 50 % Blue chicks and 50% Black?

Thank You.

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Yep. That's pretty much it.

3. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    yep you got it!

4. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    My Black Ameracaunas just produced a blue chick ,

Was very unexpected [​IMG] Hopefully it's a roo [​IMG] I need a blue roo.

Who Knows with my luck it's probably a pullet [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Well, you could still breed it to a black roo, and maybe get a blue roo from that hatch. I'm a glass half-full kind of person, I guess. [​IMG]

6. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Since it's a blue I will use it in my breedings either way, just for once I'm really hoping it's a roo [​IMG]

I just got some blue girls, if it's a roo i am hoping to make splashes ASAP ! [​IMG]

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you breed blues to blues many times and produce many chicks, you will get the percentages that you list.

If you do one clutch of eggs, in theory, you will get 50% females and 50% males and half of them will be blue, a quarter of them will be black, a quarter of them will be splash.

However, the figures only hold over large numbers of hatches. In any individual hatch, it is possible that you will not get the statistical average. Everybody has herd of clutches that all turned out to be male, not half and half. Your colors might arrive in different amounts, too.

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thank you everyone. [​IMG]

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I don't want to seem like a moron, but is the blue x black for example, a blue roo to a black hen....or does it matter who is black and who is blue????

I have never dealt with this blue gene stuff before. I guess I should have paid closer attention in science...........but heck, they were talking about white peas or something. I think I was sleepy in class:D

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Thanks I only have had RIR's and EE's I'm into Orpingtons now and working on color.

flowerchild59 I think it is either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by