Please Give Me the Low-Down on Fart/Fairy Eggs

I see a lot of eggs daily here. They are all definitely different, and I can tell who laid what based on shape, color and personal defects. I don't see anything unusual either in that bunch of eggs.

Most people are more familiar with the weirdly similar store eggs. I look at my assortment and wonder how they get so many that are the same, and why anyone would want that. I like different.

Sorry; I should have posted this thread elsewhere.

So far, all normal eggs since the itty bitty. I wasn’t home much yesterday, but today I know who laid. I’m not going to worry too much at this point.

@Wyorp Rock I cracked the egg. Here’s a picture of the contents. White with a tiny bit of yolk (or something).

@oldhenlikesdogs I love the egg assortment, too!

16E0D0E1-2823-4C00-8626-B5BF84FC609E.jpeg

Sorry; I should have posted this thread elsewhere.

So far, all normal eggs since the itty bitty. I wasn’t home much yesterday, but today I know who laid. I’m not going to worry too much at this point.

@Wyorp Rock I cracked the egg. Here’s a picture of the contents. White with a tiny bit of yolk (or something).

@oldhenlikesdogs I love the egg assortment, too!

View attachment 1351918

I'm glad everything is back to normal:)

Well... I just got home from a Board meeting and there’s another pinkish, ever so slightly wonky, chalky, smaller-than-normal egg. I think it’s Millie laying these. She’s low in the pecking order, but a good eater not too skinny. She sits just slightly more often than the others and has had a small limp when running for MANY months. She tends to sit with her tail super high. Not sure what it means.
I’m adding a photo from today’s eggs. The egg in question has a red star. I found it in Millie’s favorite laying spot (on the poop board... nice). Only some of my girls have distinctive eggs, and now that the littles’ eggs are getting bigger, it’s harder to tell them all apart.
and
52241E15-6899-4552-807F-90D7825A2092.jpeg

Well... I just got home from a Board meeting and there’s another pinkish, ever so slightly wonky, chalky, smaller-than-normal egg. I think it’s Millie laying these. She’s low in the pecking order, but a good eater not too skinny. She sits just slightly more often than the others and has had a small limp when running for MANY months. She tends to sit with her tail super high. Not sure what it means.
I’m adding a photo from today’s eggs. The egg in question has a red star. I found it in Millie’s favorite laying spot (on the poop board... nice). Only some of my girls have distinctive eggs, and now that the littles’ eggs are getting bigger, it’s harder to tell them all apart.
and View attachment 1353834
Are you SURE that Margo laid that white egg:p

LOL

O.K. Your gonna have to run the breeds by me again:D For the mystery girls anyway.

Are you SURE that Margo laid that white egg:p

:lau

Margo: Brown Leghorn
Bridgette: Barred Rock
Buttercup: Light Brahma
Lucky: Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (could be Roxy’s egg... Silver Laced Wyandotte. Not 100% a Wyandotte is laying those torpedos that are starting to look like Bridgey eggs.)
Millie: Speckled Sussex
Cashew: Buff Orp
Ruby: Buckeye
Bagheera: Black Australorp

I’m not completely sure who of the nine did NOT lay today, but I think it was Bagheera. She usually has the biggest of all the similar looking brown eggs and (almost?) never has speckles on her eggs.

:idunno:idunno:idunno:idunno

LOL The one above Lucky might be Cashew's the others I just don't know:D

I don't know if you thought I was pulling your leg or not about putting the BluKote or food coloring on the vent to see if your suspected girl was laying that egg or not.

I wasn't. It really does work - just need a little - apply a dab with a qtip on the lower "lip" of the vent. The next couple of days, that particular hen will lay an egg with a blue streak or with blue on it. The blue eventually wears off with dust bathing and laying eggs.

Edited to add - the one above the star might be the Australorp egg Bagheera

None of them look like Bagheera’s typical eggs, but who knows? I *think* Cashew’s eggs are sometimes lightish. I always thought it was interesting that Cashew and Millie have the softest feathers and lay the most dainty (in terms of color and smoothness) eggs, if that makes sense. Sweet and feminine. I don’t know how else to describe what I’m talking about.

I do like your idea of coloring the vent. I just wasn’t sure who to color and thought the problem might be passing. I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

None of them look like Bagheera’s typical eggs, but who knows? I *think* Cashew’s eggs are sometimes lightish. I always thought it was interesting that Cashew and Millie have the softest feathers and lay the most dainty (in terms of color and smoothness) eggs, if that makes sense. Sweet and feminine. I don’t know how else to describe what I’m talking about.

I do like your idea of coloring the vent. I just wasn’t sure who to color and thought the problem might be passing. I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

Start with one girl that you suspect may be laying the odd egg. If it's not her, then apply the color to the next suspected girl, then just move on down the line. Give it a little time to wear off, if not, then you'll have blue spotted eggs from everybody:lol:

I put blue on Millie’s vent this morning. Thanks again for that tip. I don’t really expect an egg from her today, but we’ll see.

Coincidentally, this morning I opened up an 18-pack of eggs my husband keeps forgetting to deliver to a friend... thought the eggs were getting too old to give. Scrambled twelve and gave some to the dog and the rest to the flock for a protein treat. Anyway... one of them was a smallish, pinkish egg I had forgotten about. Apparently this has been going on for awhile. It’s super subtle, not cause for alarm. But after my experience with Rusty last year, my spidey senses tingle if the slightest laying issue arises.

Back
Top Bottom