Please Give Me the Low-Down on Fart/Fairy Eggs

Thanks! A mental health day definitely helps with the physical health. Bridgey and Ruby just got butt baths. Crushed the turd balls between my fingers after soaking for several seconds. Much better! Ruby does look slightly fatty deposit-ish below her vent, despite the fact that she feels lean and well muscled elsewhere. Weighed everyone. Buttercup weighs 8.0 pounds. Bridge is second heaviest at 7.0. I love how solid she is. Cashew is just 6.2, which seems light for a BO. Margo is actually NOT the lightest at 5.4. Roxy only weighs 4.6, but has always been tiny and does not feel too skinny; she just has a small frame. Bagheera is pretty puny for a Black Australorp at 5.6, but the poor dear has never taken a laying break. Ever.

Last edited:
I think Bridgey is thanking me for the butt bath. I do love this girl!

Oh, and Buttercup definitely laid a normal egg today. Yay!

2211AFEB-C79F-4759-B417-F991A0CFC168.jpeg

D206D999-0BA8-49B8-A746-3ECEC7AA58C9.jpeg

Well, shoot. I found a third fairy egg today. I think they are Buttercup’s. Are repeated fairy eggs indicative of another possible issue? Wondering why she’s getting non-yolk matter in her reproductive tract. Dropping yolks (laying internally)? Having some other issue that might rear it’s ugly head later like salpingitis? She seems happy and healthy. Should I be doing anything special for her?

Well, shoot. I found a third fairy egg today. I think they are Buttercup’s. Are repeated fairy eggs indicative of another possible issue? Wondering why she’s getting non-yolk matter in her reproductive tract. Dropping yolks (laying internally)? Having some other issue that might rear it’s ugly head later like salpingitis? She seems happy and healthy. Should I be doing anything special for her?

Is Buttercup lowest in pecking order? Does she seem to have any stress?

To be honest I do not know if this is a precursor to Salpingitis, probably not. Salpingitis is an inflammation of the oviduct-it can be caused by respiratory disease (MG, IB or similar), E. Coli, Salmonella, etc.

It is my understanding that very small eggs/fairy eggs can also be due stress/disturbances, respiratory illness and damage to the lining of the Magnum or Shell Gland.

I do not know of anything special that you can do for her. It's good that she is passing them with no problems.

As you know, reproductive problems are very common in hens and it's frustrating that there is not much that can be done. I would just keep an eye on her, see that she is eating/drinking, happy and enjoy your time with her.

It was on another thread, but I’ll post it here, too. I was concerned that she’s missing some feathers below her vent and sometimes seems a little moist where the feathers are missing (not really moist when I took the video, though.)

Last edited:
Moist is because she's in lay. Go look at Margo, I bet you will find her vent to be similar;)

She does have a few missing feathers, but I see some pin feathers coming in. When they lay eggs, the feather get rubbed off or she may have somebody that is plucking the odd feather here and there. Even if she is high up in pecking order, other hens will take advantage while roosting.

Ok. I will just watch her extra diligently. As you know, I’m already pretty attentive to me chickens. I just thought three fairy eggs in a short period of time might be a concern. Maybe she’s fighting an illness that I can’t see.
Would there be any point in putting nutridrench or rooster booster in their water for a couple days? I hope her shell gland isn’t damaged. (It seemed like Rusty’s was, along with the internal laying. There were a few soft eggs before the EYP set in.)

Back
Top Bottom