Help...my chicken laid weird eggs today!

PrettyChicky25

Chirping
Feb 6, 2023
I found a young bantam chicken in the woods in January, she had coccidia which got cleared up and has lived with me in my home ever since then. She has been laying eggs somewhat regularly and they have been nice solid shelled eggs. Her diet is Purina layer feed, oyster shell and grit in a separate bowl, with greens and veggies/fruit each night. A bit of seed sometimes, chicken treats once or twice a day (not too much). I take her outside once a week for a few hours to sit in the sun with my other birds.

This morning my chicken laid a regular size egg. She was fine all day. I went out to dinner and when I came home, she looked a bit out of sorts so I went over to her and found a piece of floppy egg shell hanging out of her poop hole (see picture with egg and green poop). I pulled it off her and then after about a half hour she went into a corner and laid two yolks on my carpet (see pictures). A little while later she had another floppy egg half hanging out of her poop hole so I pulled it out (see fourth picture).

She started going through her first molt a couple weeks ago and is still losing feathers. About a week and a half ago she laid a fairy egg.

Can anyone tell me what is happening here? I won't be able to get to a vet before Monday or Tuesday. I need to make sure she's okay.

Please help.

Attachments

• image_67183105.JPG
    image_67183105.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image_67161857.JPG
    image_67161857.JPG
    554.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image_67219201.JPG
    image_67219201.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image_67135233.JPG
    image_67135233.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 17
That a soft shelled egg, give her more calcium. Use calcium tablets if you have any for immediate effect. Then keep her on layer feed and check the quality of her egg every time she drops one.

That a soft shelled egg, give her more calcium. Use calcium tablets if you have any for immediate effect. Then keep her on layer feed and check the quality of her egg every time she drops one.
Okay, I can do that, thank you! (Can I use a TUMS for this?) Also isn't it weird that she laid three eggs in one day though?

Okay, I can do that, thank you! Isn't it weird that she laid three eggs in one day though?
Yes. it's a reproductive hiccup and not an indicator of calcium deficit (with your other clues).. see the article and video in following link for better explanation..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Many birds do not lay eggs while they are also molting.. as it takes an enormous amount of energy. Feathers are made form 90% protein and it's amino acids.. stop the treats (or give some protein rich snacks only).. until she is back to normal.. as they (treats like fruit) often diminish nutrients and "layer" is already considered the minimum.. birds in commercial operations where $ is the bottom line get zero other feed stuffs.

Yes. it's a reproductive hiccup and not an indicator of calcium deficit (with your other clues).. see the article and video in following link for better explanation..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Many birds do not lay eggs while they are also molting.. as it takes an enormous amount of energy. Feathers are made form 90% protein and it's amino acids.. stop the treats (or give some protein rich snacks only).. until she is back to normal.. as they (treats like fruit) often diminish nutrients and "layer" is already considered the minimum.. birds in commercial operations where $ is the bottom line get zero other feed stuffs.
Thank you for the article and advice. I will read it and watch the video now! I guess my bird is laying eggs while molting so it's taking a toll on her. The egg laying has slowed though. I will be careful what I feed her. Is spinach for dinner okay?

Chickens molting require high protein feed to get them through there molt. You need to stop giving treats of any kind while there in this stage.
Okay I will make sure to do this. Is a little spinach for dinner okay? (I don't consider that a treat per se....)

Back
Top Bottom