Poor girl laid this today.

Update. This afternoon I see the poor girl straining to lay while in the run, I would see what appeared to be lash egg like material and what looked like egg white dripping out. The other chickens were following her around and cleaning it up as fast as they could and a few times peck at her behind. Within a few minutes she lays another huge egg and it seemed to be covered in egg white. So I went on with feeding them and she ate normal like any other day, i went back to check on her and found her sitting on the coop floor eyes closed. I got her to stand for a picture although she don't look to good, also a picture of the egg in a half cup container. I had thoughts of grabbing her and putting her out of her misery before she laid the egg. Not sure what to do with her, I have given her calcium citrate with d3 in the past but seems to be a band aid on a bigger problem. Her name is Ashley 20240214_154517.jpg 20240214_154205 (1).jpg .

Did you give her the calcium for a weeks as recommended last week? The best thing for her would be to stop laying altogether. Vets can give hormone implants to stop that, but is a bit pricey, and not available everywhere.

Did you give her the calcium for a weeks as recommended last week? The best thing for her would be to stop laying altogether. Vets can give hormone implants to stop that, but is a bit pricey, and not available everywhere.
I got it in her a couple times then she does her best to avoid me catching her and that stresses her out. The vet option is out, wife says chicks are cheap. She is a really sweet chicken knows her name but I don't want her to suffer every time she needs to lay. I am at a loss on if I should just watch her and see how things go or cull her, tough decision.

There is no reason to have to decide right away. I tend to watch and see what happens. Crushing the calcium into a small treat of scrambled egg could get it into her. You can also grab her off the roost in the dark to medicate her. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom