please give thoughts. I am so worried.

katharine

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
One of two of our loved pet chickens.She came sick the afternoon Monday I wrote a few days ago. Need thoughts please!

lethargic. justs stands or sits under a bush with her eyes closed.

I hear some gurgling in her tummy.

She has a bit of poo on her feathers but her vent seems clean. I did see her poo yesterday and it was yellow white mucusy.
I see no mites or external anything.

Her comb is now looking a bit pale and the bare place on her cheeks is pale.

We saw eye worms and treated with VetRX and then the next day with some eyedrops from the feed store. I saw a worm or two today and they did not seem to be squrming as much as yesterday.

She seems sort of interested in food but it almost appears like she wants to but just doesn't have the energy or is in too much pain. She opens her eyes for s second then closes.

I have managed, today, to squirt some electrolyte water and a mix of crumbles, egg yolk and that water. She didn't love it but she swallowed.

We also treated her with a worm pill today. I hope that wasn't harsh but we didn't know what to do.

She laid an egg yesterday but not today.

We have no idea what might be wrong. I don't know what else to do.

Would you suggest having her drink some Elpsom salts?
How about a warm bath?

What kind of worm pill? How old is she? Have you ever wormed them before, and with what?

Worms are one of the possibilities, and if this is the cause, probably the best approach would be Valbazen, a cattle wormer. It is relatively easy on them if they have a heavy load. Give 0.5 ml by mouth to each bird, repeat in 10 days, toss eggs for 21 days. I put it on a bit of bread but you can also just squirt it into the side of their mouth with a syrings (no needls, of course.)

There are certainly other possibilities, such as internal laying, but unfortunately there is nothing to be done for that.

You got excellent information here from one of our members.

Back
Top Bottom