Please help....... 2 very sick chickens

EJPedrazzi

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Salinas, CA
Hello

I have a flock of 13 chickens - 11 hens and 2 Roo's. 2 of my polish cresteds have been acting very strangely recently, I searched a lot of old posts on here but couldn't find anything seemingly matching their symptoms to try and diagnose. They are 6 months old, haven't yet started laying. They're all kept in a coop at night and free range during the day. The day before yesterday 2 of my cresteds I noticed had gone back into the pen in the middle of the afternoon. I thought this was strange, but thought they may be broody but nothing has been laid. They are VERY lethargic, acting almost drunk and very weak. I thought it could be from wet fermented chicken feed, but I removed this yesterday and they haven't eaten any since but still they are bad. One hen came out from the coop today and is wobbling around, sleeping like she has narcolepsy and very gentle with me (they're usually a bit more timid). Not really eating or drinking either.

Her crop is empty, she's not eggbound and I can't see any mites or lice. I haven't wormed them since I've had them. When she lays her head down and rests (on my leg in the first photo) her eyes are open. The second one is a close up of her beak - it doesn't seem too snotty or runny, and her breathing is weak but not wheezy.

If you have any advice on what it is, or how I can help her, please get back to me. I'm going to the feed store in an hour so can get her some antibiotics

Thanks

Emily

I've now put them in a separate cage with heat lamp which they seem to be liking. One just took quite a big drink which was encouraging.

The nostril on the one pic looks a bit gooy. ...could just be the pic. If you listen under a wing...to the lungs...any rattle or wheeZing?. if so you would need to treat with Tylan 50 cattle medication....also check their crests for bugs as mites and fleas love to burrow in there and make them anemic.
If not..then coccidia or worms could be an issue. I use Corid its a.cattle swine med...also treat with safeguard wormer either a dollop of paste or.0 5 cc of liquid for goats.
Add poultry vitamins to their water..or gator aid...keep dipping their beak in it. Try giving warm scrambled eggs...you can force feed them it if needed.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I just went to the feed store and bought some antibiotics that I will try and get down them. Hopefully this will get them strong enough to where they can eat and drink normally. I also bought them some plain yogurt or probios and some cottage cheese for protein......? I'm hoping they last the night - it's around 40 so not freezing and they should be ok with the heat lamp. Fingers crossed!

If that is mucous coming from the nose like that, I would think of some sort of cold. Definately good idea with the antibiotics. I've been reading up a bit since I lost my favorite hen last week to an unknown ailment and looks like garlic has a lot of good cold fighting properties. Good Luck, wish I could help more.

UPDATE: They both seem a little brighter this morning
wee.gif

One drank some antibiotics last night I noticed, and the food has definitely gone down since last night too. One is still a little lethargic but hopefully if she gets some fluids in her she'll perk up a bit too. I noticed they kept going under the heat lamp and out again, hopefully the heat made them thirstly. I was anxious to syringe them the liquid as I don't want to drown them. Fingers crossed they'll get there on their own!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom