Please help. Are my eggs even fertile? - diy candling day 6-7

Jun 7, 2020
NSW, Australia
I have a broody silkie sitting on 8 of her own eggs. I had cracked one of her eggs and thought it was fertile as I saw a "bullseye".

She has been sitting on the eggs since last monday night and it is now monday morning - so she has been on them for around 6-7 days.

I candled 3 eggs (diy- flashlight and peanut butter jar). Please check out the pictures and let me know if they are viable. Would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking they may not have even been fertile as I can't see any sign of veins, embryo or movement...

Attachments

• Egg2(2).jpg
    Egg2(2).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Egg2.jpg
    Egg2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Egg1(2).jpg
    Egg1(2).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Egg1.jpg
    Egg1.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 29
I have a broody silkie sitting on 8 of her own eggs. I had cracked one of her eggs and thought it was fertile as I saw a "bullseye".

She has been sitting on the eggs since last monday night and it is now monday morning - so she has been on them for around 6-7 days.

I candled 3 eggs (diy- flashlight and peanut butter jar). Please check out the pictures and let me know if they are viable. Would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking they may not have even been fertile as I can't see any sign of veins, embryo or movement...

These eggs were infertile or something happened right away to cause them to DIS. If the rest are the same you may want to start the hen over with fresh, fertile eggs.

With light shelled eggs veining can clearly be seen on day 4-5. The three eggs you show will not change. However I urge you to candle the other five, You might be surprised. If they are also clear new eggs can be provided to the hen. If you are thinking of giving the hen a new set of eggs, the sooner the better. I have an egg candler; I use a flashlight as it works better.

With light shelled eggs veining can clearly be seen on day 4-5. The three eggs you show will not change. However I urge you to candle the other five, You might be surprised. If they are also clear new eggs can be provided to the hen. If you are thinking of giving the hen a new set of eggs, the sooner the better. I have an egg candler; I use a flashlight as it works better.
I just candled them all and they all look similar so must be either infertile or something else went wrong. I saw our young rooster mate with her over 10 times so was pretty sure they were fertile :(

When a hen has just a couple eggs under her to brood they frequently get crushed under the hen when they start to hatch. I'd advise that you put four dummy eggs with the 2 iso brown eggs. If you don't have anything to use as dummy eggs four store bought/infertile eggs will work. Do not use the infertile eggs from under the hen as they will spoil sooner.

Back
Top Bottom