PLEASE HELP ASAP! ROUEN DUCK

Maybe see if he will eat his food out of the water, try getting ahold of done niacin and putting that in the water. If he can open his beak, keep soft food available to him, and see if he will figure it out in his own. Do you have a second person, you need to do it in a full swoop. Put a towel over his head and flip him on his side. Ounce you have all the supplies, have the second person hold him down and still while you quickly snip the feathers, flush it with water or a steril solution, and squirt antibiotic ointment into the wound, take pics along the way. Sounds like you need the second person though. But once its done it’s done, and you won’t have to do it again. So just do it in one full swoop. Good luck
No, it's just me. Where can I get niacin?? I dont see any other sores other than what's on his head and neck area.

Try looking on amazon. I fit's only you, then use a towel to cover his head and catch him, then put him between your legs on his back and hold his wings like a squeeze shoot. unwrap the towel, and clip the features and do everything I listed above in the last post. Make it quick. Hope that helps!

HELP!
Something attacked my duck! (Could of been another duck, I dont know!) He has sores on the back of neck and is bleeding. He is also holding his head funny. He isnt moving his head or neck.
He is walking a bit, but mostly sitting.
Not eating (even mealworms, his fav) or drinking.
His poop is white.

In addition to everyone else advice. I would contact a vet. And ask for advice and some medicine that you can use to help. I am so sorry that this happened and I feel for you too.:hugs

No, it's just me. Where can I get niacin?? I dont see any other sores other than what's on his head and neck area.
Niacin can come in several forms. The Nutritional Yeast vs Brewers Yeast stickied thread is a good read-through (I use Nutritional Yeast which I can get at our bulk foods store, but it can also be found in health food stores/sections or online.) I put a couple tablespoons in with a couple cups of food every day.

It's also part of the Vitamin B complex family - you can try dissolving the capsules in water or you can go the liquid route. I use the liquid on treats instead of trying to jam it down their throats or wasting the capsules in water they might just spill out. There's some good threads on that as well (what kind, how to administer, dosage)

If he's not eating right now, however, the jamming it down his throat option would be the only way to get it into him efficiently, and if he's on his third or more day of not eating anything then you've got bigger problems than just a niacin shortage.

I know you're working on this alone and you're busy and it seems very stressful for him as well, but you've really gotta just focus and get him cleaned all the way up - going little by little each day leaves room for infections and untended wounds to set in and worsen. Sit on the floor of a small quiet room like the bathroom, burrito him up good in a big towel, hold him in your lap/between your knees and get the feather clipping, wound cleaning and treating, and maggot clearing all the way over with. Once it's totally done then it's done and he can begin to really rest and heal then. Right now he's in a really uncomfortable and malnourished limbo.

Keep supplying him with wet/softened food, ducks do a lot of work with their necks/throats when eating dry stuff and if he's sore that'll be the last thing he wants, so make it as easy on him as possible. I know he's not going for it right now but the hope is he eventually gets hungry enough on his own. You could also try mashing up some banana, peas, watermelon , anything mushy - they're not as healthy as his actual food but eating anything is better than none at all. If he continues to not eat anything you're gonna wind up in tube-feeding territory.

Niacin can come in several forms. The Nutritional Yeast vs Brewers Yeast stickied thread is a good read-through (I use Nutritional Yeast which I can get at our bulk foods store, but it can also be found in health food stores/sections or online.) I put a couple tablespoons in with a couple cups of food every day.

It's also part of the Vitamin B complex family - you can try dissolving the capsules in water or you can go the liquid route. I use the liquid on treats instead of trying to jam it down their throats or wasting the capsules in water they might just spill out. There's some good threads on that as well (what kind, how to administer, dosage)

If he's not eating right now, however, the jamming it down his throat option would be the only way to get it into him efficiently, and if he's on his third or more day of not eating anything then you've got bigger problems than just a niacin shortage.

I know you're working on this alone and you're busy and it seems very stressful for him as well, but you've really gotta just focus and get him cleaned all the way up - going little by little each day leaves room for infections and untended wounds to set in and worsen. Sit on the floor of a small quiet room like the bathroom, burrito him up good in a big towel, hold him in your lap/between your knees and get the feather clipping, wound cleaning and treating, and maggot clearing all the way over with. Once it's totally done then it's done and he can begin to really rest and heal then. Right now he's in a really uncomfortable and malnourished limbo.

Keep supplying him with wet/softened food, ducks do a lot of work with their necks/throats when eating dry stuff and if he's sore that'll be the last thing he wants, so make it as easy on him as possible. I know he's not going for it right now but the hope is he eventually gets hungry enough on his own. You could also try mashing up some banana, peas, watermelon , anything mushy - they're not as healthy as his actual food but eating anything is better than none at all. If he continues to not eat anything you're gonna wind up in tube-feeding territory.
So do I use a syringe to feed him?? How wet should I make it??
Electrolytes in water helping any???
If I put food in a bowl how much water should I put to soften it up???
He is drinking water with electrolytes in it.

So do I use a syringe to feed him?? How wet should I make it??
Electrolytes in water helping any???
If I put food in a bowl how much water should I put to soften it up???
He is drinking water with electrolytes in it.
I’m not an expert just to be clear - I don’t think you’re in force-feeding range yet, just verging right on it if he doesn’t pick back up soon. Like really soon. Like tomorrow soon. That’ll be 4 days without food, it’s hard to get better when you’re starving, but on top of the food situation he really needs those other issues taken care of immediately.

try soaking his food in some warm water for a while so you can kind of turn it into a loose paste or soup. Like applesauce consistency. You can do it with small amounts so you’re not just wasting food if he doesnt pick it up. Replace it once or twice a day so it doesn’t go off and get gross.

I think the electrolytes in his water are better than nothing but he definitely needs to get some real food in him. Keep trying different mushed up treats if he won’t take the food (and try a variety - my two don’t like eggs or broccoli, other people’s ducks love those. They go crazy for peas and watermelon, are happy with tomatoes grapes and blueberries and bananas, love lettuce but I wouldn’t recommend that right now cuz it doesn’t get mushy. Basically if you can mash it, try it. Just avoid citrus, avocado, and potatoes) The food would be best but anything to get him started would be good.

If he's gone four days without food, you need to get tube feeding supplies ready, or he will likely pass. You'll need parrot baby feeding formula, you can get this at most pet stores, a 35 or 60ml syringe, you might this at a medical store or feed store, and finally tubing to stick down his throat. The tubing will likely be the hardest thing to find, preferably you use a red rubber catheter ( I use 20 french for big ducks), so you might be able to get some at a wildlife rehab center, or a medical center, but if you can't find them there you can get some aquarium tubing, and melt down the tip and use that.

Here is more info,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-q-and-a.1215032/

Okay, I dont think I can handle putting a tube in.
I force fed him meal worms, just stuck it in his bill and he ate it.
I noticed he can only open it a little bit so that might be why.

Back
Top Bottom