Please Help!! Baby having balance issues... vitamin deficiency?

Slike

Songster
12 Years
Dec 1, 2007
Puna, Big Island, HI
I have a 3-4 day bantam mutt I just bought from the local feed store who had been very lively, active and attentive up until maybe an hour ago. Eating, drinking, pooing. He has started leaning back and pushing his legs straight out in front of him, pulling his head back until it slides to the left. He cannot stand up on his own straight for more than a few seconds.
Could he have a vitamin deficiency that you know of? I've had a baby emu who had a vitamin B deficiency since birth, who I fed collard greens and some very small amounts of crushed powdered vB tablets and was able to eventually cure. I knew he needed B by the type of seizures he would have, going forward rather than back, but that was pretty much of the opposite of what my bantam baby is doing now and I am not sure what causes the "back" pulling motion. He is so tiny and I am so very worried about him, cause I don't know what to give him. Please help,
sad.png

``Slike``

give three drops of Polyvisol Enfamil formulation unflavored (childrens liquid baby vitamins) once a day for a week then taper off the next.
You must ensure this chick gets sufficient water to drink which means every hour or so dribbling some water along the beak... putting electrolytes in water will be necessary if it continues to not be able to get to the waterer and drink on own after 24 hours.

Right after I posted earlier I did some super fast searching for vitamin deficiencies amongst poultry and the most likely thing I saw was the E deficiency ("stargazing"), so I gave him some water with electrolytes of the proper kind. He didn't want to stand up so I gave a few drops on the top of my index nail. I had to leave right after to go into town to pick up some stuff and was crazy worried about him in the meantime.

I came back to find him, Wicket and Wocket all cuddled up in a big fluffy ball under their heat lamp and he was sitting up normal. When I went to pet him he jumped up and ran over to my hand, peeping and very lively again. He is doing much better in only a couple hours, I am so happy! I've seen him drink on his own again so hopefully I won't have to manually give him drink, but I'll be keeping a very close eye on him.

Thank you!

``Slike``

Back
Top Bottom