PLEASE HELP ( Baby Silkie Chicks ) Pasty crusty butts

I have always used small dabs of hydrogen peroxide and then a little bit of oil under the vent area after cleaning.

I have a pasty butt basket with everything I need close at hand
big_smile.png

It includes the olive oil, and also some of my children's round tip scissors. I found that if I get it moistened enough it will come away from the skin, but the poo is still stuck to the fuzz. I then just give them a little brazillian cut (trim the fluff around the butts), and then it doesn't get stuck again.

Debbie

I get flack everytime I post this RE, but I can tell ya it`s from experience and not something I read. Here ya go..........Pop

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 1 day. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

When I got my baby silkies, I trim the hair around that area with nose hair scissor. I don't trim down to their skin but close to it so that when they are a few days older pasties won't be problem.

I just bought 16 more chicks yesterday to start replacing some of my older laying flock... and then picked up 9 more this morning when the feed store opened. Had noticed last night that a couple of the new chicks (Iowa Blues) had crusty butts, but didn't think much about it. Then noticed a couple I bought this morning (yet more Iowa Blues from the same source) had the crust butts as well. Went searching online for information and here I am! Thank you all so very much for this valuable help!! Never thought I'd be washing and wiping chicken butts, but here I was this evening... the ol' so exciting life of someone with chickens. LOL

Back
Top Bottom