PLEASE HELP! Bantam hen with swollen wattles *PICS* update*

Just one a day for three to 4 days. She should really start to look better and feel better in the second day!
wink.png

Getting the Tylan injectable would be more fast acting. The Duramycin is only water soluble, and if you have a lot of birds, it can be a pain to give it just to her.

I'll be watching this thread closely--I have a hen whose ears, of all things, have started filling with fluid for the past week. She isn't in pain, but it's got to be uncomfortable.

Have to agree the Tylan would be best if you can find it anywhere. I prefer the Tylan 200 myself but not sure of the dosage for a bantam. I have only had to use it on my pheasants.

Looks like an abscess, the largest clue is the small wound on her head. She must have a small puncture somewhere under her feathers near that spot. The wattles are an easy area to for fluid/pus to collect. If you can the stomach it, lance each wattle at the bottom most point. This will allow the infectious liquid to drain, relieving discomfort before the antibiotics you are getting kick in. Keep us posted.

Just gave Little Chicken her first dose of Tylan. I was not good at giving a shot. It took me 3 tries. She did NOT like it. Her wattles are slightly less swollen and she really wants to be out of the kennel. She's very talkative. That's an improvement. I don't know if something had bitten her or if she has some dreaded illness. Hopefully whatever it is, the Tylan will fix it. She"s so little and I was/am afraid of puncturing an organ or something.

Not an abscess. Her noggin was actually wet in the picture. She had some feathers matted together and we thought there was a wound, but we couldn't find one.

With the little ones I give shots in the thigh or upper leg. My Dutch are only a pound full grown and fisty. It can be hard to give a breast shot when the bird is constantly squirming. Rolling the bird on its side and getting a thigh is just easier.

Matt

Update for Thursday: Little Chicken seems to have much less swelling in the wattles and neck. Though they are quite gray/purple.

16571_dsc07072.jpg

16571_dsc07068.jpg

She wanted out of the kennel this morning. So she's been walking around the house a bit. Not really interested in eating, even treats. She acts like maybe it hurts to open her beak much. I haven't seen her drink much either. Worried about that.

Also, I checked on the injection site from yesterday. There's a bruise. Is that normal? Sorry the picture is not very good. Our camera is not the greatest.
16571_dsc07073.jpg

I'm going to do her shot in the leg today. How deep am I supposed to go? I just did go under the skin yesterday. The needle is a 22 gauge. That's the smallest they had. I went in at an angle too.

She isn't necessarily lethargic, but I'm concerned over her lack of interest in food.

Back
Top Bottom