Please help! Bantam is egg bound and I accidentally got NutriDrentch in her lungs

BuggerChicken01

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2019
Colorado
My Dutch bantam hen had not been acting right for a few days and I had felt that she was significantly heavier in her abdomen. I realized she is egg bound because she shows all the signs, and started soaking her in warm water and massaging it. It has been four days now and she has stopped eating, I am now tube feeding her. I have her Nutri-Drench but she tried to spit it back up and then it went into her lungs. She is low making some awful gurgling and popping sounds. She also has been sneezing because it is coming out of her nose. Her abdomen is now so big and extremely hot, what do I do? Please respond quickly, I do not know how long egg bound chickens last and she has been our families favorite. She is only 2 years old.
Edit:
I forgot to add that she is pooping only a bit of juice once and a while, probably the only stuff she can squeeze out. It is also super green and slimy, is that an infection? And if so should I give her antibiotics? I also heard that soaking her in white vinegar can dissolve the egg shell, making it easier to push out. Is that a good idea?

Last edited:
I realized she is egg bound because she shows all the signs, and started soaking her in warm water and massaging it.
You can feel the egg?

I am now tube feeding her. I have her Nutri-Drench but she tried to spit it back up and then it went into her lungs.
You were tube feeding her ND and she aspirated it?

Sorry, but not sure there's anything to do about liquid in the lungs.
Maybe one of the more treatment inclined folks that were tagged will have a suggestion.

When she first started acting weird I could feel a big lump in her abdomen, but only when it started getting serious did I try and feel exactly what is in her. Currently it is so big and filled with fluid (I assume poop?) that I cannot feel the hard thing anymore. And yes, she did breath in when I put some in her mouth using a syringe. That is not the first time I have done that, and usually the chicken swallows what I give them. This is the first time a chicken didn’t show any sign of swallowing, and let it go right into her lungs.

Oh, sorry for the confusion, @BuggerChicken01 ... I meant there is an article about how to administer liquids in such a way as to avoid aspiration. But I went back and read your OP and it sounds like you know what you're doing, as you've done tube feeding before. I'm sorry .. I think I was so focused on your hen's distress that I missed that detail.

Back
Top Bottom