Please help Brooder requirements for bantam chicks DIY if possible

That would work for a week or two. Than you would need something big enough for them to run around more. Of course it depends on how many you end up with.

Feeders and waterers are easy enough to buy.

I really thought I’d have less already but only one egg looked totally empty when I first candled at day 8 today is day 14 so will candle again not really sure what to expect might have to stick some pictures on here for advice. I’m guessing they will be a bit slower as there’s not as much room in the egg.

Another strange question but lock down is day 18 is that the end of day 18 so I roll them on day 18 then lock down that night or lock down morning of day 18.

when in doubt do it at the earlier option. With certain eggs I go into lock down a day or 2 early with no problems. But if the first pip happens before lock down and the Humidity is low then that chick will have problems. Just do it at the earliest of your 2 options and it will be your safest bet.

I get confused by the exact same thing you just did and thats how I solve it.

Last edited:
when in doubt do it at the earlier option. With certain eggs I go into lock down a day or 2 early with no problems. But if the first pip happens before lock down and the Humidity is low then that chick will have problems. Just do it at the earliest of your 2 options and it will be your safest bet.

I get confused by the exact same thing you just did and thats how I solve it.

Phew I was very nervous about turning then not turning to early but I have read that bantams can hatch slightly early so was very worried about lockdown down so I might turn them on day 18 morning then lock the, down after that.

We started with a rabbit hutch we had hanging around (see pic). But I got home today and the largest of our chicks was sitting on the top edge of the brooder wall. They’re not even 3 weeks old until Thursday. I wasn’t expecting them to jump so high so quickly. We just happened to have our sons old crib still in the attic. A little welded wire and the girls have a new, bigger brooder.

Attachments

• FA283784-F39C-4DF5-B012-D9D4B9C590DA.jpeg
    FA283784-F39C-4DF5-B012-D9D4B9C590DA.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 25CCEC63-6AE7-4E13-A8ED-CCC22A215762.jpeg
    25CCEC63-6AE7-4E13-A8ED-CCC22A215762.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 2
We started with a rabbit hutch we had hanging around (see pic). But I got home today and the largest of our chicks was sitting on the top edge of the brooder wall. They’re not even 3 weeks old until Thursday. I wasn’t expecting them to jump so high so quickly. We just happened to have our sons old crib still in the attic. A little welded wire and the girls have a new, bigger brooder.

Ha that’s awesome love the photos and great idea with the crib.

Back
Top Bottom